Poor Mans Twca Cam

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I get a few comments over various platforms about my Nic Westerman Twca Cam spoon carving knife (the big bugger i use) and how difficult they are to get hold off, although you can now get them from Gilles in Lithuania and the one i've seen, looked to be good quality, unfortunately i didn't have the opportunity to use it for comparison.

Before i had my Nic Westerman i made myself a poor mans version, albeit its a compromise tool, but it worked/works well and i still use it to this day.

All i did was to get a Mora 163 open curve spoon knife, removed the handle and then mounted the blade in a longer handle, Ash in this case.

DSCN9231 by Mark D Emery, on Flickr

DSCN9237 (2) by Mark D Emery, on Flickr

I then ground down the cutting edge on the right hand side of the blade and rounded it over so it was a tad more comfortable to use, i then removed the bevels on the reverse side as i do with all Mora hook knives and hey voila, a poor mans Twca Cam, if you wanted a more traditional circular blade you can adapt a Mora 162 or 164 to suit.

DSCN9239 (2) by Mark D Emery, on Flickr

DSCN9241 by Mark D Emery, on Flickr

As i said above its a compromise tool, its not as good as my Nic Westerman, but it was never going to be, but it works and if it works then as far as i'm concerned, jobs a goodun.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Good job! Just adding a longer handle really increases the performance of a tool.

I like the octagonal handle - presumably it won't roll off the bench.

Reactions: Toddy

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Good job! Just adding a longer handle really increases the performance of a tool.

I like the octagonal handle - presumably it won't roll off the bench.

Exactly that, but also helps with grip when exerting a lot of torque, ive half a mind to replace the handle at some point as for some jobs its just not quite long enough.

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Makes it 'bespoke' really :)
Nice way for someone not wanting to spend a lot of money, but to end up with a really useful tool.

Is it just me ? or is it a time of year when we all look at our tools, and the hands kind of itch to be busy ?

M

Reactions: Brizzlebush

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Makes it 'bespoke' really :)
Nice way for someone not wanting to spend a lot of money, but to end up with a really useful tool.

Is it just me ? or is it a time of year when we all look at our tools, and the hands kind of itch to be busy ?

M

I think you are right, a few people i know are starting to get the tools out again and are starting to make & carve

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've been eyeing up a hazel that needs pruned, and thinking about giving those little brushes another go. See if I can manage to keep the handle more robust this time round.

M

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I've been eyeing up a hazel that needs pruned, and thinking about giving those little brushes another go. See if I can manage to keep the handle more robust this time round.

M

Let us know how you get on, im going up the lakes on Tuesday to do some work with the Environment Agency, but might take the opportunity to get some fresh Hazel myself whilst im there, will see how the time goes .

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
@Kepis Just stumbled across this, thanks for posting!! Is the mora 163 the best option for this? Really fancy a twca cam but don't have the spends at the mo unfortunately

Last edited:

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
The 163 is what i had handy at the time, any spoon knife could used in its place i guess, the 163 though does have a nice shallow curve to it which helps. Rarely use it these days as i use my Nic Westerman Twca

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
The 163 is what i had handy at the time, any spoon knife could used in its place i guess, the 163 though does have a nice shallow curve to it which helps. Rarely use it these days as i use my Nic Westerman Twca

Really appreciate the response- I was planning on using it for kuksa carving, would a more rounded spoon knife be better for this? Hope you don't mind me picking your brains!

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Think a 164 or the other double sided one with the tighter radius would suit kuksas better than the 163 which being a shallower curve is (in my mind) better suited to shallow spoon bowls

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
here are my versions of the same thing
SAM_6651 by Goldsmithexile 2020, on Flickr
SAM_6653 by Goldsmithexile 2020, on Flickr
SAM_6652 by Goldsmithexile 2020, on Flickr

I chopped the old little mora handles off, then epoxed the blades into rebates, then whipped the ferrules with thickish linen twine. Handles are approx 13 inches long. Being longer and thicker, theres much more power, control and less chatter

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I really must get my TWCA in a handle! Had it for over a year & it’s still sat in the tool roll waiting. It’s not like I bought it as an investment item. I waited ages for it then I’ve not used it at all.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE