Poor Crop - Sloe's

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dragonferret

Oct 10, 2005
pl9
:eek: Is it just up here in the north or is there a nationwide shortage of sloe's this year , there also seem to be a lack of acorn's which is down to the bad ie: small amout of sunshine. So even the beech mast might be in short supply

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
It's all a bit poo here too, I took a walk through the woods yesterday, none of the sweet chestnuts trees have any sign of fruit, and many of the other fruiting plants seem to be lacking.

I also noted a distinct lack in birdsong. Time to dust off the feeding tables for me, it's going to be a hard winter for our feathered friends I think.

dragonferret

Oct 10, 2005
pl9
Bleaberries that too was another dismall crop:( but as for field mushrooms it be a very good crop :) since we have been having plenty of rain and the temp is still quite warm . Yum yum mushies stewed in milk or fried within an hour of picking :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sorry you're having a bad year for them but (touch wood) ours are doing all right up here. Small crop of sloes, but they are there.
Acorns look beautiful :D they've only 'just' started coming down; big, fat and creamy. I've already got some roasted and stored for coffee.
I've been gathering brambles as they ripen, and freezing them (well apart from those we've been munching in cranachan for pudding ) to make jams and jellies when I've got time. I'm up to 4 kgs so far, and I've hardly touched the bushes. Same with the rowans, elderberries and rosehaws. The beechmast is 'just' thinking about coming down, last year was a brilliant crop so I'm not expecting so much this time round.
Huge crop of apples, too many to use. Same with the blackcurrants........one bush and I made over 2dozen jars of jams and jelly and then left the fruits for the birds and visiting children :D

cheers,
Toddy

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Ive taken a walk down the lane today, plenty of crab apples, blackberries and tons of hawthorn berries

there are a few sloes but they are indifferent.

also some rosehips but not ripe yet, still a touch green

Sep 27, 2007
essex
I agree, its a very poor year for sloes, and most other berries. However, its a mighty fine year for fungi. Not too great for hazel nuts, although last year was fab, so I didn't expect much around here this year.

Kris

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I'm unsure if it's a bad year or not. Had a walk today and while there were very few sloes by the path, there seemed to be plenty in the inaccessible and hard to reach places. I think I may have just been to slow to pick them. There were plenty of blackberries though and my 3yo son has developed quite a taste for them.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
The sloes here are much less than usual and the blackberry crop is dismal. I've never seen it so bad. There are entire rows of bushes the length of a medium size field with almost nothing on them. This is true of bushes facing in every direction and in different fields. Strangely a wild bramble bush growing by the side of my allotment that I've been cultivating has a reasonable harvest on it.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I have found some sloes, and we could come to an agreement if you like.

(same as with the rowan berries)

Sep 24, 2008
preston
hiya...

I'm having real trouble finding any sloes this year to make my gin

Its a real tradition to take a bottle on our anual fishing trip in the spring and at this rate I wont have any sloes to make it!

Would any members be willing to sell some to me for a decent price?

PM me if you can help me out and I will get back in touch straight away..

thnx

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Well, I'm glad it's not just me that's been thinking this.
It has been a poor year for sloes, blackberries and damsons. There's a blackthorn bush near where I live and that has some sloes on it (not after tomorrow - I'm going to pick them on my way home from work), but there's not many and they don't look that impressive.
Haven't looked at chestnuts or cobnuts yet (still a bit early).
That said, it's been quite the opposite for haws this year - can't move for the little bleeders! They seem to be everywhere. Masses and masses of them. And rowan berries. Elder berries seem to be doing alright as well. We've also done well with wild hops - I thought the wet summer would ruin them but there's been a good supply.

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
went for a nice long walk yesterday, saw oodles of blackthorn and not one sloe. Also saw loads of hazel and managed to forage the grand total of 2. Saw (and got) loads of elderberries, so we'll be sorted from the wine POV, but chrimbo won't be the same without sloe gin:( .

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Yesterday I spent 2 hours picking sloes, blackberries, apples, and the like and came home with about 60 sloes, (but no bullaces) about enough for maybe one bottle of sloe gin. Not a cob-nut to be had, I did find an apple tree stuffed full of cooking apples (growing wild) and a smaller tree well hidden with enough eating apples for fill a tesco shopping bag. Blackberries seem to have produced a late glut. a couple of Kg picking in next to no time, and more left to ripen on the bush for later if we are spared a frost.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE