poncy blades in the works

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
As we all know, my preference is to make (and use) blades that are forged to finished; but every once in a while I like to make something a bit different. Last week I was in one of those moods, along with being really bored with the order book that I've been working through :ashamed: . I've got a student booked in soon who specifically asked to make a laminted blade so I thought a bit of san mai was in order. While I was at it I dug out some billets on damascus that I started working on last year sometime (again, I was bored that day).

The 'simple' laminated are EN42 cores with mild steel sides, the one with the extra bits has en42 in the centre and between 2 bits of mild is an extra bit of en42. Looks quite nice and it used up some stock I had lying about for years.

sanmai0003.jpg

sanmai0006.jpg
filework on bottom blade

The damascus blades are from one of three small billets that I started making up last year, low layer count (40 or so here I think?) and made from 15n20 and O1. First damascus I've made in about 6 years, it's just too much hard work to make it viable without a power hammer :(

sanmai0005.jpg

sanmai0004.jpg

Some of these are going to be finished into knives, others will be sold on as blades. I'll put some pics up when things are all done.

thanks for looking :)

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
... First damascus I've made in about 6 years, it's just too much hard work to make it viable without a power hammer :(

I hear that.

I used to chase high layer counts and complex patterns but without a power hammer it's a huge amount of work and can even reduce the overall blade quality due to too many high welding heats unless you work really smart.

I tried to get around this by welding 20 or so 1mm thick layers in a stack at once, so in that first weld I get 20 layers then if I fold each end of the bar in and re-weld I jump to 60. One more process gives 180 layers and then another weld gives me 540. It works, but it's still bloody hard to pull off.

If only more folks knew how hard this is with hand held hammers to keep quality consistently high. Forge welding is easy. Producing quality Damascus blades is seriously difficult, and avoiding cold shuts and inclusions is a real trick.

It has nothing to do with physical stature - it's hard work with a very small heat range in which you can safely work, Sod's law says if you're going to bugger up a good Damascus blade it'll be on the last weld when you've already spent bloody hours on the rotten thing.

Ask me how I know this...

:rolleyes:

More recently I have been doing a lot of three layer W1, W2 or 5160 single core with wrought iron sides, or 16 or 20 layers with a single edge core, and I'm really liking the results.

I particularly like the last blade in the bottom picture for no other reason than it keeps winking at me :)

Very nice work - tip of the hat to you :)

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
thanks folks. :)

john, it's in the post tomorrow (I had to make some more blades up ;) ).

Xunil, thanks for the kind words means a lot :) When I first learnt to forge blades I quickly worked through a steep learning curve trying to learn more and push myself. So damascus was inevitble but without power hammers and gas forges it was a lot of failures and too much hard work. I tried the shim billets to up layer counts fast too but i always had trouble with the outer layers buckling and burning off before i could get the rest solid; if I try it again I'll put some thicker stock on the outside of the billet and take it off once welded.

I'm steering clear of the complex and high layer stuff. Partly down to the work involved but also, that is the way everybody is going at the moment and to be honest I can't be bothered keeping up with the Jones'! I'll probably do more simple 3 layered blades or maybe a core and small numbers on the sides like you suggest.Will do some more low layer mascus, I got a bunch of 15n20 6 years ago and it needs using up sometime ;)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I am glad to hear that :D
It is all well and good playing with fancy steels you know - but I want my new toy NOW!
Or the teddy hits the pavement!

Actually I think that seeing those blades is worth the wait! :D

Be like me - never work just get paid to have fun....
By the way ...how is the other website these days...... :D

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
beautiful stuff Dave!!,...

the 2nd one of the top 3 is my fave,...

looks really usable,...i like the users,...

:):)

Stu

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE