Poncho

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I find that the US army poncho is a robust, hardwearing bit of kit. You also have the added advantage of adding a warm liner.

US army poncho come in woodland camo, British army olive green.

Bottom line though, they both keep you dry!

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Try this roll up your UK poncho, as small as it will go.
then with the US version.

you will have found that:

the UK version sounds like a crisp packet, the US is quiet in comparison.

the UK version does not roll up as small.

the UK version is more ridgid and not as comfy to wear as the US version.

i once stuffed a US poncho into a US ammo pouch 7" x 2.5" x 3" you cannot do this with the UK version!

ontop of this all the US version has a camo pattern, you can get the same poncho in black or green also!
UK version is....green!

I am all in favour of the US version, 100%
materials, design, weight, compactness, duriability, and comfort.

the UK version is a tough heavier weight version, cheeply made and not used much as a waterproof, always as a shelter top or groundsheet.

in my opinion, uS army version is far better!

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Several NATO and other european countries use the US pattern and are totally compatable for doubling up into larger shelters. I have the german version in flektar camo. The new digital camo is also beginning to appear on the civilian market. The liners are nice additions, but an aftermarket kit to make them into a lightweight sleeping system fails miserably. Soldiers who tried this froze all night with little sleep. What they do is help the poncho drape a little better in windy conditions and the added insulation is good for a layered system. It certainly vents easily enough if you start to overheat. A ponchos virtue is in compactness. They are honestly less than satisfactory in a heavy downpour. You will get a little wet, especially the legs. If your travelling light they are good insurance and make substantial shelters. On my one emergency camp in a storm, I put up my 9'x9' tarp, slipped inside, tied the poncho down as a groundcloth and then unrolled my sleeping bag. I had my Esbit brewing up some P.G. Tipps while my hiking companions were trying to erect some modular tent that eventually slept 3 very wet people.

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
I looked at the German poncho, because most of my gear is German made, but the good ol' US poncho has just been too good to me over the years. I'll eventually pick up a couple more of them when I find the issue version, instead of going with the milspec made in China stuff.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
I have an old British Poncho and do not know if it is like the current issue. I hope not as it is really heavy but tough. It lives in the back of my landrover in case I need to change a wheel in the rain. Yesterday I bought a Austrailian Poncho and it is much lighter and better. My plan for this is that I can take it with me and either use it as a poncho or a shelter where as my basha would take up slightly more space and only have one use.

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Just got my new US army poncho.
Unused ,im really impressed ,much lighter than the Brit one and much cheaper than most i see advertised £14.00 delivered. :)
RB

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
rapidboy said:
Just got my new US army poncho.
Unused ,im really impressed ,much lighter than the Brit one and much cheaper than most i see advertised £14.00 delivered. :)
RB
Care to let on where you bought it from Rapidboy. :)

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Loads of guy's in the US coming back from the war and selling off their kit on evilbay. :wink:

RB

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
rapidboy said:
Loads of guy's in the US coming back from the war and selling off their kit on evilbay. :wink:

RB
Ok mate,tar.Ive never used evilbay.I shall have a look round the A&N stores.

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
CLEM said:
Ok mate,tar.Ive never used evilbay.I shall have a look round the A&N stores.

Good for you mate and don't start if you can help it.
It's a terrible affliction. :eek:):

RB

Reactions: CLEM

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
not as yet pointed out, the US poncho liner was origionally designed for use in a hot climate!

the official advice from the US army field manual says:
"use the liner as a blanket, or use it with the poncho as a sleeping bag in hot and cool weather when the temperature is above 50f (10 celsius) (thats not far off room temperature, baby's rooms are ideal at 16 celsius!)."

it also mentions the use of a "sleeping shirt and hood" to stop dirt from you getting on it!

If you use the US poncho with a liner in temperate enviroments you will get cold.

it is not designed for cold weather! don't be suprised if people get cold trying it! it is very good at what it's designed for i.e. tropical conditions!

i have used the system in autunm sucessfully it was warm, but i did wear thermals and a jacket!

you cannot really use it as a lightweight sleeping system for much of the year in this country.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE