Poncho or Waterproofs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

What do your prefer

• Poncho

Votes: 61 40.1%
  • Waterproof coat & trousers

Votes: 88 57.9%
  • Bin Bag

Votes: 3 2.0%

• Total voters

BootneckSteve

Apr 4, 2015
Ballymena
It depends a lot on circumstances. If I'm on a day hike I like to use the jacket and pants, if I have my big backpack on then I use a poncho as it covers the pack as well, plus I get a bit hot and sweaty when carrying a big pack and less so when using a poncho (I don't feel the cold, so conversely I tend to feel the heat more)
As for brands I have three different ones I use. In my webbing I have Bundeswehr flecktarn goretex jacket and pants. I also have a Peter Storm interactive jacket that I can zip my fleeces into and lightweight Peter Storm trousers. Day to day I use a German Navy surplus goretex jacket (Best bad weather jacket I've ever had) that has a high fastening collar, a hood that covers your head and lower part of your face, cuffs that seal against the wind, and a storm flap around the hem to stop the coat inflating in high winds. I also have a pair of Dutch Navy goretex trousers but they can be a bit of a pain to get on and off so I tend not to use them

garethw

Settler
Hi there
I've got a 58 pattern ponch; but must admit I rarely use it now... it's just too baggy and flaps around...
I picked up a set of unissued MTP Goretex waterproofs from Strike Force Surplus and they are excellent value and have kept me dry.

I use mostly for fishing, and when not in use just roll up into a nylon dry sack in my rucksack...

cheers
Gareth

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
I started reading this thread with interest, I have been considering a poncho, my wet weather gear is a waterproof nylon motor cycle jacket, with army surplus Camo Goretex Wet Weather MVP hat... I love my hat... I really hate being wet even moderately damp annoys me. I did have gortex trousers which got lost (long story)... I like the idea of a poncho with cuff studs for to make sleeves. & 2 poncho t pee style shelter possibility and pack ability of a poncho.... so what poncho fits the bill?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Haven't used my poncho in years Alan but the one I liked when I had to take a lot of kit into the woods for work I liked the German army one I had. Very tough, not heavy, very capacious and cheap as chips.
Good value for the money though I.wouldn't use it on the motorbike though. Dragchute. :D
GB.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Graveworm

Life Member
Sep 2, 2011
London UK
I like Ponchos for when I will be sitting around especially in an open vehicle or boat. They are pretty good as "just in case" especially if a poncho tarp. However if I am going to be needing to move around or work then it's waterproofs.
Goretex pro (Not the older Pro shell) has stolen a lead on Event by pretty much doing what Event have done. Event always let air through Gore only let water vapour through ... now pro is air permeable.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I can't be doing with waterproofs, gore tex or otherwise. If I'm doing some serious walking in the hills or mountains, Buffalo gear, for a womble in the woods or nearby hills, a poncho, usually an old British Army 58 pattern one.

If its the right poncho, wear your pack over it, that'll stop the flapping.

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
thanx you guys horses for courses right enough, I am a fan of army surplus especially super grade (new unissued) while searching up the Brittish army & the German army as suggested I spotted this little beauty... WOW I think this is the one... I like the sound of this Dutch army poncho http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dutch-Army-poncho-/291398884281?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item43d8ba1bb9 It's super grade (new unissued) got studs on to make sleeves, its camo, anti flapping drawstrings at the waist eyelets for shelter building, its got the lot any you guys got one of these bad boys???? No! my minds made, I'm for one of these bad boys....

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I think ventile poncho's were bought by a few members here a few years ago, did not get great reports IIRC?

As for the OP selling his poncho, for the few quid you'd get its not worth it, put it away for possible future use.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
If I'm walking with a pack and it's not cold I would do without waterproofs. The amount I sweat when active especially under a few layers means I get as wet using waterproofs as without! I just make sure I have dries to change into.

For other less strenuous activities I prefer jacket and trousers over a poncho, a cheap Regatta set does the job but is not breathable so I can again get a bit sweaty. I like this over a poncho due to not having lots of material flapping about.

I used a good quality non breathable poncho on a walk recently and was dripping after a few miles walking in light rain so for me I can't see the point of trying to stay dry? I am saving for a decent set of breathable fabric trousers and jacket and am hoping the sweating will be less of an issue?

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I witnessed a bad experience with ponchos a few years back and it put me right off them, me and my buddy were hiking about a woodland in Scotland foraging and the heavens opened, i had waterproofs in my bag (top and bottom) but i just couldn't be bothered to put them on as i knew i had plenty of dry clothing back at camp if i did get drenched, my buddy whipped his poncho out and donned it pronto, rained for about 45 mins and we kept foraging all the way through it mostly for wild rasberries and wild stawberries so lots of reaching over wet branches and bending down and the rain got everywhere, when the rain stopped and my buddy took of his poncho and he was wetter under it than i was from 45 minutes in the rain, when he first showed me it at the start of our journey i was thinking i'll get myself one of those when i get home, safe to say i never bought one as i am a bit of a sweaty beast too especially if i am pushing myself

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE