poncho or tarp?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
There's no best. It's what ever floats your boat. I normally take a tarp, especially when hammocking, as a tarp gives a bigger dry area. When I go lightweight I take a poncho, but that's usually in summer when there's little or no wet stuff falling down.

No difference in England between seasons and rain:)

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
I've used both as a shelter - a poncho as a low lean-to and a tarp in an A frame way - but tend to stick to bashas / tarps these days. I think on balance waterproofs are more versative / easier to work with than ponchos as rain protection, and you get more room under a tarp.

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
This might help you decide couple of pics of both set ups both work as shelters but as ged said tarp as a poncho is a bit of a faff

Poncho just enough to sleep under but you really need a bivi bag
Trip22011051-Copy.jpg

Trip22011033-Copy-Copy.jpg

Tarp loads of room and no need for a bivi if you dont want to use one
lochlomandapril2011028.jpg

Take your pick

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
It's interesting to note that the Marines are replacing their ponchos with tarps on a one for one exchange www.currentmilitaria.com/marpat-coyote-tarp-71 The individual Marines preferred the tarp over the poncho by 91% when asked. I'm not sure exactly why since the issue ILBE tarps are the exact same size as the poncho (90 inches X 80 inches) and doesn't have the same easy ability to wear it as a poncho. It is a good looking tarp though and made of the same material as the poncho (treated/waterfproffed rip stop nylon)

Last edited:

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
looking forward to trying the Poncho for rain when walking but I think it would be too small to sleep under IMO, I much prefer a lightweight tent

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Speaking from personal experience in the TA, years ago:-

Waterproofs for rainwear... Ponchos just aren't practical on the hills in windy conditions.

Tarps for sleeping under...Ponchos just aren't big enough to get comfy under.

The MOD started issuing shelter sheets (tarps / bashas) for a reason you know!

Simon

redisherfox

May 19, 2012
bury lancs
I use a german poncho with fibreglass poles to form a low level dome type shelter not roomy but fine, use this system in pap weather. or some times my home made canvas tarp mainly for use near open fires.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Depends what you want and what you're doing. You can wear a tarp but it's a bit of a faff. :)

You can indeed wear a Tarp but a bit of a faff is an understatement. Ultimately you have to ask, if your Poncho is your shelter, where then is your waterproof when you need it?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
looking forward to trying the Poncho for rain when walking but I think it would be too small to sleep under IMO, I much prefer a lightweight tent

An issue poncho is 6 feet & 8 inches X 8 feet & 6 inches. And 2 of them will snap together. The same as the current Marine Corps ILBE tarp.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE