Poll: EKA, Eggen or Fallkniven

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Which would you choose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mosnan

Tenderfoot
Apr 25, 2008
Leeds
Hi,

My family are chipping in for a new knife for my Uncle's birthday - Probally be in the region of £60 - £80.
He already has a handmade knife so we can rule that out!

Choices as I see it.

Fallkniven F1
Helle Eggen
EKA Nordic W11

Which one would you folks go for?

Nicolas

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
If he`s already got a fixed blade knife what about something like a TK4 ? I have one to use for gutting and skinning.

Leon

Sep 14, 2003
Lincolnshire
If it's to be used for general bushcrafty type stuff, then of the three you mention I would plump for the Helle.
If you want a Fallkniven of any kind I'd advise moving quickly and shop around. Their prices have just shot up. An F1 from Heinnie's is now just 5p short of £97. The TK4 is now over £100!
There may be some who are still selling existing stock a bit lower if you're lucky, though.

As ever, I think the knife's intended use is key to making the right choice though. All three mentioned are nice but have pros and cons depending on the job at hand.

Cheers,
Dave

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
I'd buy the Eggen, the standard sheath lets them down a little but the knives are a good job and a fair price, (a standard F1 sheath isn't anything to get excited about either).

I have had a few Eggen's myself and made sheatsh for quite a few, nice knives and pretty good value for money, i'd say they are my favoutive from the Helle range

441_4110_1a.jpg

One thing is they never seem to strike a firesteel very wel,l even with the spine squared.
I think the spine is little too soft.
They will cast sparks but not as well as say a Mora or a Clipper or an F1.
Anybody else noticed this, it's been the same on all 3 i have owned ?

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Another thing i like about the Eggen is there is plenty of material on the handle and you can reshape it for a perfect fit to you hand if you are so inclined.

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
One thing is they never seem to strike a firesteel very wel,l even with the spine squared.
I think the spine is little too soft.
They will cast sparks but not as well as say a Mora or a Clipper or an F1.
Anybody else noticed this, it's been the same on all 3 i have owned ?

I've got the Helle fjellkniven and it won't cast a spark at all unless you use down near the tip of the knife.

Bar that great knife. Look at Bassin31 on ebay, that's where I bought mine from and it worked out about £30.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I realy rate the Helles and have tried and liked many of them - my favourite is the Fjellraven - at the moment!
I too have noticed that it only realy sparks a firesteel near the tip - but wow - it sparks well from there and with a short stroke which preserves your firesteel.
Of the 3 mentioned in the poll I would go for the Eggan - the only one I have not tried is the F1 - which has had some iffy reviews....

UCBerzerkeley

Dec 11, 2008
California
i voted EKA just because i am not a fan of laminated steel. tried both a non-laminated and laminated mora, just prefer the non. both the F1 and Eggan are varieties of laminated. however, Eggan has great reviews i admit

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE