Polish Lavvu Dimension Question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

theDuck

May 22, 2011
Canada
I'm looking at making my own version of the Polish lavvu from Nylon. For those who have a Polish Lavvu, I'm wondering what the measurement is between the grommets that the pegs go through, grommet to grommet? What would be the measurement along the side with the buttons from apex to bottom? I take it that each poncho is in essence 4 triangles all joined together side by side.
I like the look of the lavvu but I hate the darkness on the inside of military tents.
Thanks.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Hi, I've just measured the distance between the grommets on mine, and the are 950mm apart.
Yes 4 triangles.
If I were to make one, I would increase the dimensions slightly to inprove internal space. Say 1000 mm between grommets and 100-150 mm in height.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I have one also, apparently they come in three sizes, I have also thought of making a nylon one purely to have a lighter weight version however I'm a bit carp at sewing and haven't got round to it. Although I do like the darkness in side as it allows for day time snoozing :)

I add another vote for progress updates and pictures...

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,

Mousey - you are correct that they come in 3 sizes and there is quite a difference in ground area between a size 1 and a 3 when they are pegged out.

theDuck - I too set out to make a lighter version but found details about the 'tarpee' which someone had posted on here and went down that route instead and it has become my most used shelter since.

The beauty of the tarpee construction is that you end up with only one overhead seam if you use the O.Ps pattern. :)

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134658

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145534

theDuck

May 22, 2011
Canada
Thanks crosslandkelly. That spacing is 30mm off from what I was able to reverse engineer from pictures on the internet. I'm thinking making the triangles 1 metre at the base by 2 metres base straight to top point. That should give some more room and simpler dimensions to work with. I have nylon to make the bulk of it with to let light in and canvas in the triangles around where I wish to put a stove jack. I would plan on using this in the Fall and Winter and this being in Canada I like a stove and an enclosed area to keep warm and the snow out.
Jaeger, that tarpee looks like and interesting build. Those mods look interesting as well.
I'll try and post a report when I do the project. I have the material, machinery and skills. But like everyone else, it is the time that is the issue. I'm always open to ideas.
Thanks folks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE