Whole Lotta Lavvu

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 13, 2019
Gallifrey
I have been looking at alternatives to tents and so far have bought a tarp to practice with and was wondering about using a poncho as a Lavvu. It seems to be that the Polish army (obviously) has already cornered the market in making tents from ponchos, so I guess i’ll just have to buy one.

So where in the UK can I buy a Lavvu to go play with in the woods? I’m new to this and don’t know my army surplus outlets from online shops or what such things should cost, so all help is gratefully received.

Best wishes,

Darryl

Ps: i wasn’t sure if this post constitutes advice or a wanted ad., so apologies if i’ve landed it in the wrong place.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Well, you just bought a DD tarp...

For poncho tarp lavvu set ups there’s someone here whose name escapes me that’ll sew a couple of the Polish ponchos into a lavvu. While you’re on the spend, have a look at EJTrents knives. Subtle Japanese styling in a bushcraft knife, I really must find the cash for one myself. There’s an article on the home page here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Darryl of Sussex
Jan 13, 2019
Gallifrey
Well, you just bought a DD tarp...

For poncho tarp lavvu set ups there’s someone here whose name escapes me that’ll sew a couple of the Polish ponchos into a lavvu. While you’re on the spend, have a look at EJTrents knives. Subtle Japanese styling in a bushcraft knife, I really must find the cash for one myself. There’s an article on the home page here.

I think it’s a youtuber called Simon,bloke in the woods. I saw a video of his and he has made a really nice bell tent from two ponchos.

I have a Helle Egger knife; needs sharpening.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
@ Nice, I was wondering how you knew it was a DD tarp he'd bought as there was no mention of the brand in his OP, then I saw a sold thread a little later :)

scottisha5 is the member who has mentioned his services modifying polish ponchos. - He's not been no for awhile though?

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
@ Nice, I was wondering how you knew it was a DD tarp he'd bought as there was no mention of the brand in his OP, then I saw a sold thread a little later :)

scottisha5 is the member who has mentioned his services modifying polish ponchos. - He's not been no for awhile though?

Internet stalking him mate. :D :lmao:

Well done for remembering Andy the poncho threadman. :)

marksharky

Mar 25, 2019
Pacific Northwest, USA
You might want to check out the Hungarian version. Quality construction, treated canvas, and effective camouflage. Here is a link to one of my blog entries about my set-up and how it can be erected using a rifle (the old-school traditional way!). I've used this set up for overnight trips and it works quite well. The only drawback is that if you are tall like me (6 foot), then you have to sleep with slightly bent knees to keep your feet from poking out! I use two of the zelts (lavu's) buttoned together for a full "tent". https://sharky-fourbees.blogspot.com/2015/06/hungarian-zeltbahn-m4982-set-up-as-tent.html

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE