Poles for tarps

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jonnno

Forager
Mar 19, 2009
Belfast
Does anyone any clever ideas on where I could source a couple of collapsible poles to put up a tarp when there are no trees around?

OldFingersGreen

Forager
Jan 30, 2009
Manchester
or just a fibreglass collapsable pole from one of those new fangled dome tents. lightweight, strong and flexible, plus with alittle cord they can be used as an A-Frame so gives you lots of possibilities with different tarp set ups.

Wink

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 4, 2004
Norfolk
I use trekking poles, as you can adjust them to exactly the right height!

0024.jpg

RIMG0162.jpg

RIMG0136.jpg

They also have a secondary use to save the knees coming downhill under load...

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
I'm with NAT, My vote goes for the Wilko Clothes line prop. Picked up two in the Jan sale. Will lift the tarp well above the head and will fold down when not being used.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I saw you got some, hopefully mine are in today too...

Nope arrived Saturday, top poles for the money, thanks for the heads up too!

Cheers,

Alan

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I always use walking poles since they are not a bad thing to carry anyway if you have dodgy knees (like me) and this means they serve more than one purpose which is always a good reason to carry something.

Wink

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 4, 2004
Norfolk
Wink, where were those pics taken? They river one looks familiar. Nice tarp set up.

WS

The pics were taken up in the far North of Scotland, I was walking from Cape Wrath down to Kintail. The river shot was the only dry spot in the entire valley, just north of the Five Sisters somewhere. Can't quite remember. Don't camp under a tarp up there during midge season though! I'm off at the end of April again to the Knoydart peninsular, so the tarp and poles will get some more exposure...

Wink

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 4, 2004
Norfolk
Wink,what kind of tarp is that.
Looks just the job.
Soloman.

Actually, there are two different tarps in the pics. The first one is a 2.5x1.8m one, army style, but I thought it could be a bit small, so I got a Kathmandu Trekking 2.5x3m which is really light (600 grammes) and packs up small, and I had some extra loops put on to give more flexible pitching options. Kathmandu are good, but take some getting hold of. However, I noticed that Bison Bushcraft have Kathmandu Tarps on their stand at the Outdoors show, so you could give them a go.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE