Pole of Cold

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It was indeed an interesting read.

I would liked to have had more information on the basis for the economy and how do they produce food, etc., in the area too though.

cheers,
Mary

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Very bright colours on the clothes, I wonder if they were naturally available pigments or more modern. The first pic looks like something out of Narnia.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Reds we can do; and in Scandinavia there's a fungus that gives a beautiful blue dye, that's more fast than our woad. It's a substantive dye too, so it'll take on wool, fur, hair and linen and silk.
Yellow's pretty commonplace, but if you use good strong yellow then it'll overdye blue to give green. If you overdye red with blue you get purple ....:D

On t'other hand, synthetic dyes are very common and pretty straightforward to use, if rather polluting.

cheers,
Toddy

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
A lot of the colourful stuff looked woven (like the viking flat weaving - name escapes me). So 'traditionally' threads could be dyed then woven together.

Curse you for sending that link. Makes me want to go cycling there.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE