polarising sunglasses

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Hey guys

thought i'd get your input, was looking at these to cut down glare when fishing. The guy in the shop said they were great and that you could see right into the water with them (as no glare) and see the fish with no problems

sounds a bit too good to be true but you never know

Any experience?

Dave

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
I don't own a pair but have one lens which lives in a linen pouch. I find that turning the lens changes the polarity enough to enable seeing fish in different light conditions.

Careful though as Polaroids can lead to odd behavioural patterns, like hanging out of trees to get a better view, or worse... I once found myself trying to extract myself from a tree while trying to control a psychopathic 4 lb sea trout.

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
They're absolutely invaluable in bright or light conditions. I use them occasionally when trotting, but find I use them most whilst on the fly. Wearing eye protection is always a bonus when casting too!

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I recently bought some quality polarizing glasses and I think they work really well. I had bad memories of the early Polaroids but these are so much better that I can hardly compare them.

I was well aware of the properties of polarizing filters from using them in photography for many years but wearing them is a bit different. It was an expensive decision to go for polarizing sunglasses but I think the extra money was worth it.

I think the guy in the fishing shop was exaggerating a bit. Polarizing lenses reduce or remove reflected glare from the water's surface and this phenomena increases or decreases according to the angle of the reflected light. This website will help to explain in simple language.

http://www.polarization.com/water/water.html

Also not all polarized lenses are equal, expect to pay a bit of a premium for high optical performance.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
They're not x-ray specs as some people expect, but they certainly make a difference if you've got the eye for watercraft.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
as stated above Polarising cuts down glare but is no miracle cure... I Have two pairs of Oakley's with different tints so am covered for all light conditions. Its the perfect option, I understand its not for everyone as the cost is extreme, but I'm in the trade so get great discount!

trixx

Jul 14, 2010
Scotland
They work well in bright conditions, really cut down glare and allow you much better sub-surface visibility.

You don't need to break the bank, cheap ones work just as well and you won't worry so much when you inevitably scratch them or sit on them. You should be able to pick up a perfectly functional pair for around a tenner.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE