For Sale Pocket strops. Basswood or Leather Strops

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Maxamus53

Jul 23, 2021
Cornwall
These strops are 32 x 100 mm. The same size as the DC4. The leather ones are about 5mm thick and the Basswood ones are about 6mm thick.
I use laser cut and etched Birch plywood backing. The leather is compressed, then glued and sanded flat. The basswood ones are also flat and ready for compound.

These will both accept diamond sprays or emulsions perfectly.

If you've not yet tried basswood for stropping, you really should! I personally don't use leather anymore.

£7 each + £1.29 shipping (UK). If you want to bundle a strop and a compound from my other thread then we can combine shipping.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    516.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    503.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    507.8 KB · Views: 43
Reactions: Nice65

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Both these and the compound look like really good products. I’ll come back to you next week sometime and put an order in.

Maxamus53

Jul 23, 2021
Cornwall
Both these and the compound look like really good products. I’ll come back to you next week sometime and put an order in.
Thanks Nice65! I'm really happy with how they turned out too. The compound especially is excellent imo, but you'll see for yourself when you get some :)

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Thanks Nice65! I'm really happy with how they turned out too. The compound especially is excellent imo, but you'll see for yourself when you get some :)
There was a guy on BritishBlades called Hunter7 or something like that. He used to make a stropping paste that cut like a dream and then seemed to settle into a polish after a while as the particles reduced in size. He never revealed the recipe, and I lost touch with him. Very interested in something that cuts quite aggressively as I have a few bars of Starkie Blue which sheens over, and various other compounds that put a mirror on the blade but don’t really cut hard.

Maxamus53

Jul 23, 2021
Cornwall
There was a guy on BritishBlades called Hunter7 or something like that. He used to make a stropping paste that cut like a dream and then seemed to settle into a polish after a while as the particles reduced in size. He never revealed the recipe, and I lost touch with him. Very interested in something that cuts quite aggressively as I have a few bars of Starkie Blue which sheens over, and various other compounds that put a mirror on the blade but don’t really cut hard.
Sounds good man, hopefully this stuff will be a good replacement for you. I'll make sure I keep a bottle spare for you.

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
My basswood strop and paste arrived well and Ive used a D2 toolsteel pen knife (Real steel Luna) on the combo with good results.
They cut surprisingly aggressive and it’s gets rid of the sharpening burr in no time at all, and has left me with a fine edge.

The only thing is the basswood has now predictably turned grey. Does this need to be cleaned off the surface for best results or should I just keep loading it with spray?

Maxamus53

Jul 23, 2021
Cornwall
Hey man, I'm glad it's working well for you. I wouldn't add more spray or sand the bass until the performance is effected. When it's taking longer to de-burr you can try adding 1 extra spray and spreading it. When the surface becomes too loaded with metal and spray you can sand it with 1000 grit or finer and then add more spray. A couple of seconds with 1k paper will clean it right up

Reactions: chimpy leon

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
I must admit, I am interested in trying out lime/brass wood. I have a 6m x 2m lime tree trunk I was going to plank up. This has got me interested in making more than a mud kitchen out of it :)

Maxamus53

Jul 23, 2021
Cornwall
I must admit, I am interested in trying out lime/brass wood. I have a 6m x 2m lime tree trunk I was going to plank up. This has got me interested in making more than a mud kitchen out of it :)
If you rip it into thin sheets you'll have to glue it to a backing. But if you leave it in a nice thick square then you've got 4 surfaces for different grade compounds all ready to go!

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
MIght be some interest for larger strops I reckon. I see the price for Lime increases steeply once it’s thick enough to carve or turn.

The diamond compound is great by the way. I put a little on a strip of cereal box cardboard, it cuts really well. I’m not a fan of the Starkie Blue because it glazes so quickly, Autosol is okay but also slow to cut with particles that break down quickly.

Maxamus53

Jul 23, 2021
Cornwall
MIght be some interest for larger strops I reckon. I see the price for Lime increases steeply once it’s thick enough to carve or turn.

The diamond compound is great by the way. I put a little on a strip of cereal box cardboard, it cuts really well. I’m not a fan of the Starkie Blue because it glazes so quickly, Autosol is okay but also slow to cut with particles that break down quickly.
I'm glad you got on well with the compound! I'm currently working on some 4um now for those who like more of a bite to their edges or to mirror blades fast. Also I'm picking up 10 prototype large strop backing from the laser cutters tomorrow, so there might be a couple large strops available soon if they turn out nicely. I'll probably make to order with any combination of basswood or sole leather(grain or flesh etc any combination), double sided.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE