pocket grappling hook

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
It looks cool but as I watched it, I was thinking that there would be an awful lot of shear on the threaded joint as you climbed.

In fact if you read the blurb these were designed for pulling command lines/tripwires for IEDs. They are not meant for climbing on. I count myself fortunate that IEDs don't feature much in our woodland.

Still very cool looking though!

Cheers,
Steve

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
In fact if you read the blurb these were designed for pulling command lines/tripwires for IEDs. They are not meant for climbing on.

Yup, as goes for most grappling hooks - there are civilian applications for them as well though, such as pulling dead branches out of trees, pulling lost fishing rods/other equipment back from in a river or over a peak, as a weight/plumb line, and in a pinch you could probably use it to hang one end of your tarp if you felt so inclined, though I don't know if the tree would like it.

Personally I want one of those CO2 powered grappling hooks with dental-floss thick wire that has the tensile strength of your average inch-thick bridge cable, but for some reason never cuts into your hand and is remarkably easy to climb. The hook, of course, is improbably small and never fails to latch onto something.

I can dream, right? :D

Pete

OldFingersGreen

Forager
Jan 30, 2009
Manchester
somebody designed, manufactured and produced something specifically for use with improvised explosive devices?? might as well just sell them the sem-tex ;)

i used to play with grappling hooks as a kid trying to climb trees with a couple of pieces of bent metal lashed together with some string, needless to say i was not often successful!

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
somebody designed, manufactured and produced something specifically for use with improvised explosive devices?? might as well just sell them the sem-tex

I think it is for e.g. checking out what a tripline does from a distance, not for setting booby traps. For setting booby traps the bushcraft model is to make the explosive from natural materials, then using a tripline hooked up to a figure 4 trap, where the falling rock set the explosive off.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
:headbang:
I really want one! (I can't imagine I'll ever use it)
I seem to remember some "Buck survival Knives" had similar screw in hooks.
they look cool they do cool things........

Hang on....fun...cool....

They must be illegal :confused:

I imagine any sensible bobby is going to consider any form of Grappling hook especially a concealable, pocket grappling hook as "being tooled up"(I.e. for burglary/crime use).

If a tiny fixed blade is considered dodgy how much more would a grappling hook seem?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've just thought of a perfect excuse to have one.............to hook up the centre line of a parachute shelter :D :D ........now I just need a crossbow to fire it from :evilgrin:

cheers,
Toddy

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
well if you ever consider buying one (dont know if they ship to the UK) let me know because i really want one too again dont think id ever use it but i want one ha ha

Don't think CountyComm does. But http://endtimesreport.com/survival_shop.html does I believe ;D

Ah, towards the bottom of the page linked to above..

CountyComm has suspended for now their participation in the overseas forwarding service I provided. I can still ship to Europe what items of theirs I stock using the shipping guidelines listed below.

I've just thought of a perfect excuse to have one.............to hook up the centre line of a parachute shelter :D :D ........now I just need a crossbow to fire it from :evilgrin:

cheers,
Toddy

Heheh, not to sure I want to be throwing stainless steal spikey objects into the air. ;)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I was tempted to get one as a canoe bower anchor.

But of course you would need a length of chain to hold it to the sea bed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE