Pocket Cooker???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Anyone used one of these?

pocketstove.jpg

The have em on http://www.trekdirect.co.uk/main.htm - I havent seen em anywhere else, but they do look good.

Any feedback?

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Ah... so they are available in the uk at last. I was looking at these a couple of months ago. I believe bigjackbrass uses one he got from www.cabela.com
They seem pretty well made but are quite heavy (about a kilo). They seem to be the only backpacking woodburning stove I have been able to find anywhere (beside the hobo stove styles). A good little (if heavy) bit of kit.

Ed

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
I have one. In comparison with the Esbit, they are bigger, have better wind draft and obviously hold larger kettles. Over here we have many restrictions burning any manner of fire in national parklands and removing the natural forest litter is often illegal. I still like my Esbit for brewing a cup of hot drink. But if using natural fuel is appealing and the greater capacity a consideration get this one.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Yup, I have one of those. There was a thread about it floating somewhere, not sure if it's still up.

Basically it's a slightly heavy but rather clever box, quite stable and good when the fire gets going. I found that it works better to get things lit before putting the fire in the box in still conditions, or else the flame tends to sputter and suffocate. The main potential problem is the slightly cranky hinge design, which requires careful folding. Ultimately I'd say that these are not essential - you can make your own hobo stove out of a tin, after all - but I'm happy enough with mine.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Thanks for the feedback, I've ordered one. The site says they are 600g, which does seem quite heavy. We'll see - could be good for those places a fire is not alowed, or perhaps for use inside my Tapp kata. :cool:

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Just wandered over to the Trek Direct site to have a look at what they say about the cooker. The pictures and info are basically the same as on Cabela's, and give a good impression of the product. Twenty quid struck me as a bit pricey, though, but I suppose it works out as being reasonable enough since they don't charge for postage. Mind you, I own a titanium sierra cup, so what do I know about economy?

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
i was going through some old pics on my hard drive and i found this example of a dog food tin burner in action during some garden renovations. i seem to remeber mentioning this in a thread somewhere, but couldn't find it.

sargey_dog-in-flames.jpg

in the field you just suspend your billy over it. weighs very little, costs nothing, leaves no trace and burns really crap fuel.

oh yes, and the dog loves flames, do not get between her and the campfire.

cheers, and.

ally

Forager
Oct 15, 2003
lincoln
i mailed the guy who makes the small alchohol burners with details of the site asking about a group deal, if anybody is interested here is the reply:

" Glad you like it! I'd be good for mailing a big pack of stoves over, looks
like shipping would be in the $50US range per package (based on UPS.com's
shipping estimator,) so it would make sense if the shipment involved a dozen
or more stoves. If you want to gather up some people who are interested, go
for it. I'd sell the stoves for $8US each + actual shipping costs if the
order was a dozen or more, $10 each if it's less than that. Also included
would be an instruction page for each stove that I'm working on right now.
I'm not terribly interested in advertising overseas myself because it would
be a lot more effort to sell a stove than I could do over here, but if you
want to organize a larger order, that would be great! Thanks for the note,
and nice site!! "

his mail is ianr44@hotmail.com

i really like them, have tried to make but not way as good as ian's stuff, the one i did fashion was quite effective but a little dangerous too.....!!

[/code]

ally

Forager
Oct 15, 2003
lincoln
Tony wrote:
Hi ally

Thanks for looking into the cookers and getting the info on them,

Would you be willing to get the list of people together that want one and hopefully we will get up to the 12 mark which would make it quite viable.

Your thoughts?

Tone

those interested please post your details and i'll contact ian and arrange them to be sent over.......

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE