Please help identify species…

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

y2keable

Tenderfoot
Apr 18, 2005
northumberland UK
www.livejournal.com
Practicing some knife skills in the woods today when a rather large fly landed on my arm. It looks like a cross between a cranefly and a hornet, it actually moves and flies like a cranefly too. This species has one pair of true membranous wings with a span of about 5cm (it’s a big momma). This one’s a thinker, if anyone could share any information they have, it’d be appreciated.

identflysmall.jpg

shaddowflysmall.jpg

Cheers
jayson

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
Looks like a member of the ichneumonidae family to me. Which would make this a parasitic wasp. Couldn't find this particular one in my books though.

-Emile

Bob

Forager
Sep 11, 2003
Dorset
Now that's an impressive beastie!!

I'd say Crane-flies (Tipulidae) too - doesn't have a 'wasp waist' so not one of the parasitic hymenoptera.

Certainly not one I've seen before - please post its' ID if you find out.

Bob :)

Bob

Forager
Sep 11, 2003
Dorset
Just had a thought (it happens occasionally!)

It might be one of the Ptychopteridae - they have long tibial spurs and can be amazing colours! Were the wings spotted?

Bob :)

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
george said:
I'd go with some kind of ichneumon wasp as well. However, there are apparently over 3000 types in Britain alone, afraid my books dont have this one either.

George.

It's not an Ichneumon - they don't have the club shaped spurs (haltere) behind the wings, only the true flies have these.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE