The wet path and a newly waxed cotton tarp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Viktor

Tenderfoot
Dec 27, 2011
Sweden
Hello,
Thought I share a few photos from my latest day out.
This is also when I finally had my newly waxed tarp sewn by Bilmo Bushgear, with me to try out. (For how I waxed the tarp see end of post ; )

However before we go on I have to apologies for the bad photos quality of some of them.
The reason being a bad photographer and I also drop and broke my real camera on the outing two weeks ago and only had the iPhone. :(

Well this what I was up for.
Sure I had rained for 1 week straight, not that unusual here but this is normally a fairly dry path, but it turned into a small river.

This is where I usual cross to get to where I setup camp but not today..

Because there was a few dm deep wetland and I didn’t want to try my luck where I might just lose my boots. :p

So decided to head back into where I came from to scout a new camp site.

This was one of the few open and “dry” places I could find only problem being on a mountain side was no place to stake(peg?) out the tarp.

Well decided it was time to try to “fly” the tarp for the first time, so out with my new cotton tarp from Bilmo Bushgear, thanks for making it for me. ;D

Hmm.. Didn’t turn out right here..

To much slack in the tarp, but couldn’t get it much better on this location because I did run out of rope, didn’t plan for a “fly” tarp.

Well after thinking for a little bit, I figure I try to change the location a few meters would help with the slack.

Well think I did get i quite good for protecting from the rain.
But I’m glad I didn’t plan for a overnight, would be a bad night on this wet uneven, hard stone. :p

Hmm.. Think there might be a bit to much wax on the tarp need to rub some of.

Well ones I was out of the rain I finally got to do what I like the most carving wood. :)
My tools today was a S. Djärv spoon knife and my hand made scandi-knife, that I usually have for work but thought it deserved a day out too.
Also I used the Gränsforsbruks Wildlife hatchet for rough cutting the spoon blank.

Darkness starting to fall, but I at least got a rough shape on the spoon.
Did finish the carving before leaving but it was to dark for seeing anything in the photos. :(

And the day came to a end, but it was a nice forest walk and some nice few hours of bushcrafting.

Once home I did final touch up on the spoon with a card scraper.

Might just have made to thin but that we know when it’s dried and I started to use it. :p

Another story…
How I waxed the tarp:

First I added 2 parts linseed oil, 1 part paraffinwax and 1 part beeswax to the pot and heated slowly to get the wax to melt without making the oil burn.

After a while all the wax has melted, I then used a very advanced stick to mix it all together.

Then for ease of use I poured it in smaller containers and then simply waited for it to cool of.

After it had cooled enough to handle I simply rubbed it into the 3x3m tarp, ouch this makes my arm hurt simply thinking of it. :p

After it been rubbed in I use a heatgun to make sure it get into the cotton fibers, this was actually fun to see the wax disappear in to the fabric.
Now repeat this until the fabric is fully covered in wax. fun. :)

In if someone wonders. Yes the wax added quite a bit of weight to the tarp 1 200g to be exact but think I might have added a bit to much on some places.
But this still didn’t make it that heavy on a total weight on about 3 000 g.

Thanks for viewing and maybe even reading.
Please leave a comment if you like it, have critics or have any question.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Thank you for the review. I'm glad you are happy with your tarp.

... what's the weight of the tarp without the wax?

The tarp weighs a little under 2kg without the wax.

Last edited:

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Great pics!

I'm curious as to why you have waxed it though? Was it not waterproof when tensioned as it was?

Viktor

Tenderfoot
Dec 27, 2011
Sweden
Thanks all for the replies.

As for the questions..

crosslandkelly, think it weighted in at about 1800 g before waxing, and after washed.

swotty, Did wax it mostly because of curiosity. Always been interested in historical things and decided to try out a waxed tarp.
And Im verry happy with it even thought less weight always is fun. ;)
Before waxing I would call it more water resistant than waterproof.

Alreetmiowdmuka, Did carry it and some other gear, weighting in at about 5kg in a shoulder bag(messenger bag) was a bit of a pain.
But since it's only 3kg which is same as a small tent it's not bad to carry in a proper backpack.
And the packed size of it is quite good not taking up much more that my old nylon tarp.

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
I have an old army shelter-half tent from WWII (both halves, too) that belonged to my late father-in-law, who, by the way, was in the US Army Air Corps and stationed "somewhere in England." It is pretty much like the one I had twenty years later, except that the later ones had both ends closed. I think the early ones were meant to be used as four-man tents. Anyhow, the fabric is treated with something. Not quite oil, not quite wax, more likely something containing both, plus other secret ingredients. Any idea what might have been used for waterproofing army canvas fabrics such as my shelter halves?

Your photos look just fine to me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE