playing with a parser

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Before CNC routers were invented a very simple bit of technology did the job - a parser. I was filming a folding knife maker at Taylor's Eye Witness in Sheffield yesterday and Grace who I work with had a go. Here's the bits; a breast plate, a bow, a couple of parsers and the template - this one's a shield:
TEW13.jpg

a better view of the business end
TEW14.jpg

Grace having a go (not very successfully)
TEW15.jpg

Steve showing her how it's done
TEW16.jpg

The result was not ever so tidy but I'm sure you can see where it's going
TEW17.jpg

There's a little bit of video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlF6OTEDaXQ showing it in action too. Such a simple but effective bit of kit when you can use it!
Nicola

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Flipin eck! That's just brilliant Nicola. I can think of at least a dozen applications I can use that technique for. Thanks so much for posting it, and for all the really, really useful stuff you post here.

Eric

ganstey

Settler
Looks cool :cool:

Am I right in thinking that it works by the 'chisel' ends flying around inside the stencil chipping out the shape?

Its one of those things that I'd love to have a go at, but can't imagine I'd ever use it in 'real life'. Fantastic to see some of the old techniques/crafts being kept alive though.

Excellent video as always, too!
G

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Am I right in thinking that it works by the 'chisel' ends flying around inside the stencil chipping out the shape?
That's the one. The legs are springy, so you squeeze them together and put the little chisel bits inside the template. As you twiddle, the springyness pushes them outwards so they follow the edges of the template. As Steve says, he picked out one that had too narrow a cutting edge so it wasn't clearing out the centre of the template - it should cut it all away.

We hadn't planned to film that, we were actually there to record their last pen knife maker who works there - most of their production nowadays is kitchen knives. Whilst waiting for the solder pot to come up to temperature Grace found the parser in a box and asked how it worked.

ganstey

Settler
That's the one. The legs are springy, so you squeeze them together and put the little chisel bits inside the template. As you twiddle, the springyness pushes them outwards so they follow the edges of the template. As Steve says, he picked out one that had too narrow a cutting edge so it wasn't clearing out the centre of the template - it should cut it all away.

We hadn't planned to film that, we were actually there to record their last pen knife maker who works there - most of their production nowadays is kitchen knives. Whilst waiting for the solder pot to come up to temperature Grace found the parser in a box and asked how it worked.

Cheers for the clarification Nicola. Very interesting indeed...

G

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE