Plantain seed recipes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
Anyone got any views on the best way to prepare plantain seeds for eating? I vaguely remember something about roasting them, grinding them up to make flour then making bannocks, but that might have been a dream....

Thanks!

jem seeley

Tenderfoot
Sep 7, 2004
framlingham suffolk
As with many hard seeds it is worth part grinding or roasting because otherwise they have a tendancy to 'pass' right through without the body receiving any benefit-rather a waste of energy collecting them in the first place. This is certainly the advice given by Gordon (Gandalf the Green) at Woodlore. Plantain seeds are just starting to ripen in my area and it is possible to collect quite large amounts quickly. The seed does require a modest winnowing to remove the 'chaff' but it's not important to completely clean them. I either grind them a little, add some water, press them out into 'biscuits' & bake them or mix them with other seeds & flours for breads & such like.

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
Thanks all

I'm gonna try some of these ideas when I go to visit my folks at end August. Mum has been commenting on the amount of Plantain growing around the farm. (Small sheep farm in Cornwall).

:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE