Plant study week

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
This looks like perennial sow-thistle (Sonchus arvensis), clasping leaves with rounded lobes and gland tipped hairs on the flower heads!

I see what your saying, but are the leaves spikey enough....? I personally would of plumped for the beaked hawksbeard....Trust me to pick an awkward one to start off with...

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
I see what your saying, but are the leaves spikey enough....? I personally would of plumped for the beaked hawksbeard....Trust me to pick an awkward one to start off with...

Yes, the hawksbeards, hawkweeds etc are one of the hardest groups to positively id!

They can be very variable so yes, the leaves are spikey enough, pretty sure it's Sonchus arvensis, beaked hawksbeard doesn't have the gland tipped hairs you can see i the second photo.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Yes, the hawksbeards, hawkweeds etc are one of the hardest groups to positively id!

They can be very variable so yes, the leaves are spikey enough, pretty sure it's Sonchus arvensis, beaked hawksbeard doesn't have the gland tipped hairs you can see i the second photo.

Well I won't choose daisy family for my next plant...Thanks for your help.....

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Anyone good on orchids....?
I know its a helleborine, but which one...?

helleborine1Small.jpg

helleborine2Small.jpg

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
quite tricky, I would go along with Broad-leaved Helleborine but doesn't look robust enough but that could be down to shading as it looks quite a shady wood!

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
quite tricky, I would go along with Broad-leaved Helleborine but doesn't look robust enough but that could be down to shading as it looks quite a shady wood!

I will try to get some close ups of it if its still there next time I am...The wood is quite shaded but there are quite a few of these helleborines in there, but this was the biggest I could find. Looking in my book, I think the only other one it could be is the dark red helleborine, but that won't tollerate shade so well....

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
about that Nick, am using photobucket...

Sometime's I can see peoples pictures directly posted in the thread but it must be photobucket that I'm having problems with then.
I can post photos into the gallery of any plants I take pictures of.
Good start though guys. Interesting bit of debating going on already :)

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
Here's a couple I snapped at St. Abbs today, both prefer base-rich sandy soils:

1: Purple Milk-vetch (Astragalus danicus)

astdan.jpg

2: Spring Sandwort (Minuartia verna)

minverna1.jpg

minverna2.jpg

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
A few more I took at Tentsmuir today

1: Creeping Lady's-tresses (Goodyera repens)

goodyera2.jpg

2: Basal rosette of Goodyera

goodyera1.jpg

3: Intermediate Wintergreen (Pyrola media)

pyrola.jpg

A couple of pics showing coastal erosion in action! A couple of years ago, these alder trees were sitting happily on the edge of the dune system!

erosion1.jpg

erosion2.jpg

Andy B

Forager
Apr 25, 2004
Belfast
This is a brilliant idea.

I moved into a new house in November and decided to let the back garden grow wild. And every season you see something new.

So far I have

Meadow Buttercup
Water Forget-me-not
Water Speedwell
Great Willowherb
Grass ---lol
Dutch Clover
Red Dead nettle
Curled dock
Dandelion
Hairy bitter cress.
Thistle

Nearly all edible or have other uses.

By the way the garden is only about 6m by 4m.

And as mentioned above. If you identify a flower you see it everywhere from then on.
Can you imagine what a true plant expert see's as he walks through the woods.

Keep up the great work.

Cheers

Andy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE