Plant recognition apps not as reliable as we might hope......

Chris

Life Member
Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
I was testing out the accuracy of Seek with UK mushrooms today.

It identified a Brown Rollrim (potentially deadly poisonous) as a Bolete. Not good.

I’ve found it pretty reliable with trees and most plants, but I’d be very careful using it for mushrooms.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
There are times when professional mycologists will not commit to identifying fungi from photographs and even times when thy can't identify in the field with certainty; I wouldn't rely on any app to identify fungi - useful as a guide occasionally but nothing else.

Last edited:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
The best app. I've found for fungi is Picture Mushroom - you have to take a photo from three angles and it's ID is usually very good and will at least get you to the right page in a good reference.

Reactions: Chris

Chris

Life Member
Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
The best app. I've found for fungi is Picture Mushroom - you have to take a photo from three angles and it's ID is usually very good and will at least get you to the right page in a good reference.

I’ll have to give that a go.

I am generally pretty good with mushrooms, so thought I’d test out the accuracy - worries me that I could show it a (deadly poisonous) gilled mushroom with a good 360° scan, and it suggested a Bolete. Would expect it to at least be able to detect the gills.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
i had one that said celery for hemlock water dropwort. they are useful all told but multiple checks from different sources is always the way to go. x

Reactions: Chris

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE