plant id help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

risby

Forager
Jun 21, 2005
dorset, uk
I'm sure you'll all know what this is ... but I can't find it in my references to wild greens. It looks a bit like flatleaf parsley but I didn't taste it because I couldn't identify it. Can you?

unidentifiedplant.jpg

black_kissa

Tenderfoot
May 8, 2006
N/A
Could it be Levistucum officinalis ?
In Dutch this is Lavas or Maggiplant, but I don't know the English name...

Live and Love,
Anneke

risby

Forager
Jun 21, 2005
dorset, uk
Ed: Very much like flat leaf parsley, same size leaf, fronds six to eight inches high.

Familne: Yes, it does look like mini celery. It was on Dartmoor this weekend by a river in a coniferous wood.

risby

Forager
Jun 21, 2005
dorset, uk
black_kissa said:
Could it be Levistucum officinalis ?
In Dutch this is Lavas or Maggiplant, but I don't know the English name...

Live and Love,
Anneke

Now that's odd. I put the latin name "Levistucum officinalis" into google and get just four hits, all of them Dutch. I thought everybody used the same Latin name for plants and that was a major benefit of the system. I are v confused.
:confused:

black_kissa

Tenderfoot
May 8, 2006
N/A
risby said:
Now that's odd. I put the latin name " " into google and get just four hits, all of them Dutch. I thought everybody used the same Latin name for plants and that was a major benefit of the system. I are v confused.
:confused:

Me too... so let's see under "Levisticum officinale"... that looks better :)

In English it seems to be "Lovage"...

Hope this helps!

Live and Love,
Anneke

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Obvious to say, but if its wild celery or lovage then it will have a strong smell and taste of, er celery :D

Lovage usually grows to around 4-6ft, while wild celery tends to stop closer to 3 feet tall - so go back and have a look a bit later in the year.

My guess would be lovage, since wild celery tends to have rounder, fatter, less jagged leaves:

Apium graveolens:

http://www.ukwildflowers.com/Web_photos/apium_graveolens_wild_celery.jpg

Levisticum Officianale:

http://linnaeus.nrm.se/flora/di/apia/levis/levioff4.jpg

Of course, if it smells of parsley... :rolleyes:

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
The leaf shape doesn't look quite right for lovage plus habitat is more akin to wild celery i.e. damp by a river. Probably need to see the flowers to be sure - lovage is yellow whereas wild celery is white

Porcupine

Forager
Aug 24, 2005
Leek,The Netherlands
id like to know what colour the sap has if you pull a leave in two,if its a deep yellow colour it might be something i know localy as "stinkende gouwe" (smelly golden one).

not quite sure whats the latin name for it,anyways,if it has the yellow sap id scrap it of my food list ;)

porc.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE