Planning a self-reliant expedition

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 8, 2013
Maidstone, Kent
I've done plenty of shorter expeditions with groups, long hikes, route planning, hunting, cooking etc. but now I'm looking to push myself a little more and do something that will challenge me.

This is the ideal scenario: a one week expedition where I will camp overnight at various stops, probably walking about 30 miles per day, I'll be travelling with a 120L bergen and would like to avoid packing food, so I'd like to bring my air rifle and do some shooting along the way for my evening meal. Ideally, I'd like to wander freely, walking wherever I wanted to wherever interested me and walk as much or as little as I like each day.

Unfortunately, in the UK at least, that would be almost impossible I think. I live in the SE, but am willing to travel anywhere in the UK. My plan at the moment is to contact landowners about 30 miles apart and find out if they'd allow me to pitch a tent, light a fire, or shoot/trap on their land. Then I'll simply make my way to each stops via footpaths with my rifle properly packed in a bag. While this could work, it will be difficult to get permission and limits me to my local area where I can actually ask permission. Plus I don't get to wander freely.

What I was wondering was if there is any 'wilderness' in the UK where I would be able to walk and camp freely? Shooting would still be a problem, probably more so than before, but I'm sure something could be arranged, or alternatives found such as fishing. Any suggestions on a good place to go for something like this? Perhaps somewhere close to the sea would be good, where I could forage as well as fish and not have to worry about shooting.

Thanks!

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Just out of curiosity have you ever walked 30 miles on two consecutive days with a fully loaded 120 litre Bergan, and carried a weapon (or in your case a 7-8 lb air rifle? )
As to wandering freely and camping, (minus the shooting) then sure it's possible, although you may need to revise your planned distances covered. The good folk from North of the border will be the ones to ask about routes etc:..:)

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Ps you might want to think about what your carrying and you mileage ,,keep it as light as you can under 15 kgs can be done easily if you think hard on what you need

Feb 8, 2013
Maidstone, Kent
Thanks for the advice! I'm not planning to fill it, but 120L will be the capacity, I'll probably loose the side pouches and will only half fill it! I'm not sure I could manage all water and food in a 40L pack though, I'm awful at packing! I was on a poorly organised expedition with a scout group on the Yorkshire Dales where I ended up having to take my bergan fully loaded, it was only 2 days but we did about 40 miles per day. That was tough work, especially on the hills, if I don't have to plan my overnight stops too strictly, it won't worry me so much!

My main problem with weight is that I'll want to carry my camera, tripod and maybe a couple of lenses with me. Plus I'll never go out without a few knives and at least a hatchet as I forge them as a hobby!

It'll be nice to go to Scotland again, I haven't been for years! I love the landscape and the coast, my family always try to drag me south for the sun, I belong in the North where it's cold!

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Sounds like you'll be taking a lot with you...I would definitely strip it down further. Don't carry too much water, collect it on route and purify by your preferred method along the way.

30miles a day for up to 5 days over rough country is some going my friend, it's not my place to judge you but make sure you know what you're getting into. I know very fit young people who would struggle with that :)

All the best though...hope it goes well for you :)

Cheers,

Bam. :)

N

Nomad

I'm not sure I could manage all water and food in a 40L pack though, ...

You're going to carry a week's worth of water? How many litres is that?

My main problem with weight is that I'll want to carry my camera, tripod and maybe a couple of lenses with me. Plus I'll never go out without a few knives and at least a hatchet as I forge them as a hobby!

Maybe you need to narrow down your intended activities a bit. So far, you're doing 30 miles a day, hunting for meat, foraging plants, doing the bushcrafty thing with a collection of knives and a hatchet, and wandering around taking pictures. How many hours will it take you to do 30 miles? Do you sleep at all?

gabrielsdad

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 6, 2012
north staffs
2 years ago i walked the staffordshire way for cancer research. Its 93 miles, i planned to do it about 25 miles a day, but due to a bit of panic, poor planning, and some rowdy locals near uttoxeter. I ended up doing it in 48 hours. Let me tell you mate, it knackered me up for nearly 2 weeks. 4 weeks to feel good again. 30 miles a day is by no means impossible. When i first planned the walk, i had similar notions to you, but the reality is. Your not going to have time to hunt forage and everything else and walk 30 miles a day. The best advice i can give you which i was given (and ignored). Take your time enjoy yourself and let the miles take care of themself. 9fcourse life isnt so simple, but i really wish id done that.
That said, your looking for a challenge, only you know what your capable of, but i dont think it possible with the sort of weight your thinking of carrying. Not a weeks supply of water, that would be minimum 40 litres with that effort and time..theres 40kg straight away.

Last edited:

gabrielsdad

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 6, 2012
north staffs
Why not try the Cape wrath way,, it's a min of 212miles from Fort William to Cape wrath further if you go the coast route ,you can camp were you want and no one will bother you in fact you will be lucky if you see anyone http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/long-distance-routes.shtml

I know a few guys that have been to various points along this walk. All if them said it goes through the best landscapes we have to offer..

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Improvise a bit. Think how you can use your pack as a tripod, for example. Take a long hard look at your camera and lenses; chances are one lens will be best for landscape work.
You want a hatchet with you. Sure, they are fun. But heavy. Take a small saw (pruning saw type) and a heavy-bladed knife + SAK instead. More versatile and lighter.

Purify water, as said above. On the 5 day walk I mentioned we had to carry our water; my pack weighed about 45Kg before I added the Trangia. I was as strong as an ox and young. 15 trackless miles knackered me.

Cut back on clothing. One warm layer (like pile& pertex), waterproof and a change of inner layer. Wash stuff as you go, it can dry on outside of your pack.

I really like the idea of shooting and foraging as you go, but strongly suspect it will be very difficult to do in this country. There are places where you could setup camp, shoot and forage. I seriously doubt you could roam and do this.

Feb 7, 2013
Northumberland
Aye,
30 miles a day for a week.....that really is hard graft, especially with a pack, even 60 litres.
If I were you (and if you can with work/commitments etc) I would do less miles each day and you'll enjoy it much more. And as others have said every ounce really will make a difference over a week.

You can get away with shooting/hunting for food for a week in this country, but walking with a rifle that far you will end up in the sh:t - farmers/landowners etc will not be happy to see you and will probs let their neighbours (and police) know you are in the area. The coast probs would be better, although sea fishing might need some luck with a very minimal setup.

Good luck on it anyway, and remember your doing it for enjoyment so no point beasting it if you can!

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
I just can't see how you can hunt and forage and cover 30 miles per day. Yomping with a big pack is doable if you are fit but putting food in the pot takes time and patience. Surely doing both will be all but impossible?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
You need to go back to the drawing board with this trip IMO. Rifle, multiple blades, foraging daily, 30 miles a day? Just not realistic to be honest. Leave the rifle and multiple blades, cut your kit back, reduce distance to fifteen miles a day and have a nice trip, thirty miles a day is not a nice trip, its an endurance march.

gabrielsdad

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 6, 2012
north staffs
Which makes me wonder how some scouts managed 40 miles two days running.

Im guessing they had all they needed to do 2, 40 mile days. They certainly werent stopping to hunt and smoke meat. Miles are easy to cover if your body is ready for it. Trouble is doing other things. Its like motorway driving. A 15 minute stop adds 30+ to your journey.
Id guesstimate probably 10 miles a day while finding food and water and prepping it. Your still busy and things are going your way too

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi Gundog,

Sounds like a plan. But it is going to be very hard going. The Royal Marines during the Falklands did about 60 miles in 3 days carrying about 80 - 120 pound loads in 120 litre sacks. Plus weapon. They were pretty bushed and had bad feet at the end. Plus were some of the fittest guys I ever met. I've done 30 mile days in my youth and yes it can be done, but threading together multiples of 30 mile days isn't too great for the body. Yup folks like Sir Ranulph Twisleton-Wykeham-Fiennes, 3rd Baronet did 7 marathons in 7 days, but he was supported and in the nicest sense is a mental case (one I'd want on my side). You can walk multiple 30 milers but your trip admin like shooting, food prep time, personal care, foraging and enjoying yourself are going to suffer unless you arrange food/gear drops and or support. Even keeping a steady pace of 4MPH with a big pack (impressive) you'll be walking for 7.5 hours a day. Just walking that's not taking into account food/rest/ablution breaks. Then finding, setting and breaking camp. I'm not saying you can't do it, I don't know you. But from personal experience of long distance trips and expeditions I prefer to edge on the side of caution. Good luck with the trip, if I can offer any advice please ask and have a great time.
Cheers
GB.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE