Plannig a backpacking trip around the lakes

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
Im hoping to take a month or so off from work next year, possibly around may-june, but most likely school holidays (allowing time for friends at uni) to go backpacking around the lakes.

I think I will most likely to start off around windermere/kendal, and travel around in a circle, trying to visit as many of the bigger waters as possible. I.e. say going anti-clockwise, windermere-haweswater-ullswater-thirlmere-derwent-bassenthwaite-buttermere-ennerdale-wastwater-coniston.

I would be taking ground dwelling gear, tarp and bivvy, and would also be happy to use youth hostels.

I would greatly appreciate any advice, warnings, suggestions and experiences (and anything else you might think worthy of a mention) to help me plan the trip.

thanks for your time guys.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
If you go to conniston mate, be sure to take a walk up to see the halifax bomber site that crashed in WW2. Theres also a museum down in the town thats quite interesting and a hostel right up the hill under the old man of conniston by the coppermines.

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
thanks a lot davey :) will try to add that to the route.

I was messing around on google maps today and I reckon its going to be atleast 100 miles, with a big pack I think perhaps it could take 2-3 weeks to complete.

Im going to try a more intricate route to see a more accurate value for the distance, and work out places to camp etc. Just a straight line pretty much from water to water it works out at around 70 miles, but this will probably double by the time I've edited the route.

Aug 20, 2010
Manchester
I did a similar route a couple of years ago in October. I used camping barns, a bothy and a couple of hostels. Camping Barns are cheap and simple. They have a website - lakeland camping barns, I think.

I stayed at the following places on a week long round of the Lakes.

Windermere - Mosedale Bothy - Swirral Camping Barn - Cat Bells Camping Barn - Rosthwaite Camping Barn - Blacksail Hut YHA -Murt Camping Barn - Coniston Copper Mines YHA - Windermere.

There are limitless wild camping opportunities too.

M

Mentalpatient

My brother did this a while ago with a friend from school (during Uni)...
and I was planning to go with him a second time, but had work commitments..

he told me how on the first day, they tried to walk from Windermere station to Coniston, but the friend got blisters on the first day...
they ended up camping at Low water, just below the summit of the Old Man... and also on top of stickle Ghyll behind the old dungeon ghyll pub in the langdales, next to the tarn
technically they shouldn't have, but they only stayed for 1 night, and only went up the hills just before sunset.

also they remembered that chlimbing stickle ghyll after visiting the pub, which was a bad idea..

in short don't walk too far each day and don't visit pubs before climbing up a hill to camp..
but mostly he remembered that

Lordyosch

Forager
Aug 19, 2007
Bradford, UK
If you're planning on Youth Hostelling, join the Scottish YHA! All the benefits, fraction of the cost. A few years ago the Mrs and I bought life memberships for £60, about 4 years worth of English YHA subs!

Also, maybe of use, it is the policy of the camping and caravanning club to never refuse backpackers, so even if its rammed they'll squeeze you in and they have very nice showers!

Jay

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE