Back to the Lakes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
I've wanted to get out with my Trailstar ever since it arrived last month and I finally got the chance last week, so I thought I'd share a few photo's/words from my trip. With a couple of days free I decided to head up to the Lakes, back to one of my favourite areas around Borrowdale/Ennerdale.

IMG_0969-2.jpg

I left the car just before mid day and headed up to Fleetwith Pike which soon got the legs warmed up! I then headed back down and along to Blackbeck Tarn and on to Innominate Tarn where I stopped for some lunch. There're some really great views all around this area and as usual I took a few photo's along the way.

View on the way to Blackbeck Tarn
IMG_0821.jpg

Last time I was up this way I had a good look around to find pitches for my Laser Comp, I'd found a few and as such had a spot in mind for the Trailstar. After having my lunch by the Tarn I went to double check that the pitch I had in mind would be big enough for the Trailstar (It has quite a large footprint).

Once I had a quick look and decided it was a goer I carried on up to Haystacks and then dropped down a little towards Black Sail Hut. At this time of year it gets dark around 4pm in this area, as I haven't used the Trailstar yet I wanted to make sure I had some light whilst getting set up, as such I headed back to the spot I'd found and got the Trailstar set up.

IMG_0897.jpg

I have to say that I love this thing already. The space underneath it is immense and it's so easy/quick to pitch, it packs down small and is nice and light. The workmanship on it is really good too, I can see this becoming a firm favourite amongst my kit!

IMG_0898.jpg

Once the Trailstar was up it was time to get a brew on, I've recently put together a new cook kit and so far it's performed really well. It's based around the Evernew Ti DX stand and Ti burner and all packs downin to the Alpkit MytiMug, really pleased with it.

IMG_0917.jpg

Once I'd had a brew I got set up inside the Trailstar, stuff I took with me included my MYOG lantern, MYOG bathtub Floor, Borah Gear Bivy, Thermarest, sleeping bag and liner.

Once this was all set up I got some water on again and had something hot to eat, I took a mountain house meal with me this time, Chicken Tikka with rice, which was pretty tasty and it was nice to have something warm to eat as it was starting to cool down a bit.

IMG_0947.jpg

Once I'd been fed a had a good look around my camp area and took a few photo's in the last of the light.

Trailstar in the mist
IMG_0937.jpg

Checking in
IMG_0934.jpg

MYOG lantern at work
IMG_0957.jpg

Inside the Trailstar
IMG_0963.jpg

Once it got dark I climbed in to bed and read for a while and listened to some tunes before nodding off. I didn't have the best nights sleep, I woke up once needing to answer the call of nature, once when the rain started, and another 3 or so times due to my Thermarest slipping around and out from underneath me. When I made the bathtub floor I added a few strips of seamgrip to stop me sliding around inside it, I'd forgottn to do the same inside my bivy so my Thermarest refused to stay still on the slippery silnylon bivy floor. Looks like i'll need to get the seamgrip out again!

In the morning I took a few more photo's, had a brew and some porridge and was all packed up and ready to head off by around 8.

Spot the Trailstar
IMG_0969.jpg

I spent the next few hours walking, taking in Haystacks, Seat, High Crag, High Stile, and Red Pike, before heading back to the car. Whilst up on the top of High Stile the clouds well and truly dumped themselves on top of me taking the visabilty down to around 10m! It got pretty chilly up there too

In the clouds
IMG_1005.jpg

All in all a great couple of days and apart from the slippery Therma issue I was really happy with all the kit I took with me, can't wait to get out again!

Matt

A few more photo's

Tea
IMG_0930.jpg

One of the many views in this area
IMG_0887.jpg

Sawyer Squeeze
IMG_0929.jpg

Time for a brew
IMG_0978.jpg

IMG_0924.jpg

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Good stuff Matt

Eventually you'll realise that you don't need as big a footprint with the TS, I just pitch mine over the top of rocks/bushes/trees :)

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Great post and photos Matt, makes me itch even more to get back up high.

What a cracking little spot you found there :)

How are you getting on with the mini spot beacon?

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
Great pictures and trip report. Nice to see someone using some of the same gear that I've got, namely the Evernew DX stove and alpkit mug! How do you find it in use? Do you find it a little thirsty on meths? Can't wait to get back to the lakes.

Apr 25, 2012
Wolverhampton
Gorgeous little spot you got there :) bet it was amazing waking up to that in the morning! Nice looking tarp too, good configerations could easily get 2 people in there :)

Great post bud!

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
Nice post, looks like a good trip mate. Couple of Q's
What camera were you using? Pics have come out well (looks like you're a gram counter so interested to hear your selection)
How do you find getting in and out the trailstar? I've quite tall and worry that getting into and out of that, like any low pitched tarp, means I have to do a sort of duck/crawl, and end up rubbing against the shelter.

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
Many thanks for all the replies and kind words, I'm still new to posting on here so i'm never sure if things are going to be of any interest to people!

...Eventually you'll realise that you don't need as big a footprint with the TS, I just pitch mine over the top of rocks/bushes/trees :)

I've seen pictures of them pitched over the top of stuff, had this little spot in mind for a while now so wanted to give it a try, I thought before I went that I might end up having some of the rocks in there with me but it seemed to fit perfectly between everything. I was hoping to have it pitched facing the view but it would have been straight in to the wind so gave it a miss this time!

...How are you getting on with the mini spot beacon?

Really good, I tend to go out solo a lot of the time so It's nice knowing that I have the SOS function should I need it, plus it's good to be able to log the locations of camping spots etc, think my girlfriend appreciates me having it with me too. It hasn't failed to send a message as yet, so far so good!

...namely the Evernew DX stove and alpkit mug! How do you find it in use? Do you find it a little thirsty on meths? Can't wait to get back to the lakes.

Really good, not sure re meths as I haven't been on any trips longer than a few days since I've started using it so I always have more meths with me than I need (always just carry my 500ml bottle) and don't bother measuring it out etc. I seem to remember reading somewhere that they could be a little thirsty though. Next time I'm going on a longer trip I may do a few tests before I go to make sure I'm carrying enough for the duration. I like the flexibility of it though, being able to use meths, esbit, and wood all with the one set up.

Gorgeous little spot you got there :) bet it was amazing waking up to that in the morning! Nice looking tarp too, good configerations could easily get 2 people in there :)

Great post bud!

Yeah it was great, it's a spot I've wanted to camp at for a while so it was great to finally spend the night there!

Nice post, looks like a good trip mate. Couple of Q's
What camera were you using? Pics have come out well (looks like you're a gram counter so interested to hear your selection)
How do you find getting in and out the trailstar? I've quite tall and worry that getting into and out of that, like any low pitched tarp, means I have to do a sort of duck/crawl, and end up rubbing against the shelter.

Thank you, I usually take my Canon G10 with me as it's pretty robust, nice and small and seems to be able to take the weather pretty well too. Ideally I'd take my DSLR but it's the bulk of it rather than the weight that puts me off

When pitched high I have no problems getting in and out but I'm probably not as tall as you. I've read that some people use an extended groundsheet so that they can kneel/rest on that as they get in and out. Can imagine this would make things a little easier.

...How do you rate those sea to summit silicone mugs? Mine seems to pick up the flavours and smells of everything I have in it.

Really pleased with it to be honest, got one of the bowls as well but I hardly ever use it as I tend to take the rehydratable stuff with me when backpacking and eat straight from the packet. My cup only ever has water/tea/coffee in it, haven't noticed any smells/tastes from it as yet

Thanks again to all for the kind words and for the compliments re the photo's, it means a lot to me. It was good to be out again, hoping to head back in a week or two.

Matt

IMG_0998-Edit.jpg

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've seen pictures of them pitched over the top of stuff, had this little spot in mind for a while now so wanted to give it a try, I thought before I went that I might end up having some of the rocks in there with me but it seemed to fit perfectly between everything. I was hoping to have it pitched facing the view but it would have been straight in to the wind so gave it a miss this time!

I managed to pitch over a nice flat slab at Angle Tarn and used it for standing the Jetboil and cooking gear on :)

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
I managed to pitch over a nice flat slab at Angle Tarn and used it for standing the Jetboil and cooking gear on :)

I've just recently read one of your threads where you used the Trailstar at Angle Tarn, looked like a superb place to stop for the night. I've been there quite a few years ago now but never camped there, definitely one for a future trip.

I was going to drop you a pm re cooking inside the Trailstar, from what I've read most people seem ok doing so, have you ever noticed the heat getting to the fabric at all? On this trip it didn't rain except during the night so I sat out whilst doing all my cooking but no doubt i'll have to use my set-up under cover at some point.

And please don't mention the Jetboil again, I'm very tempted as it is! :eek:

Matt

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've never had a problem with my JETBOIL SOL Ti :) I cook right next to the centre pole though so plenty of clearance, not that the JETBOIL SOL Ti kicks out much wasted heat though, it all gets concentrated on the base of the pot. I've used alcohol burners in there too without any probs.

It's nice to be able to get a brew on whilst still in your sleeping bag on the cold mornings.

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
I've never had a problem with my JETBOIL SOL Ti :)

You're a bad man!

Thanks for the reply though, I must admit it would have been nice to lean over and have a morning brew before emerging from my sleeping bag. Hoping to get out again in a week or two so I'll give it a try then

Matt

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE