More fun in the Lakes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I got back on Thursday from another trip to the western fells of the Lake District, hope you enjoy ..

Monday 19[SUP]th[/SUP] March

This was to be another practice for our fast approaching TGO Challenge in May, I had a few days holiday at work to use up so hatched a rough plan with Mick to head for the Lakes. We hadn’t plotted a route at all for this one, we were just going to get some miles in with plenty of ascents and descents and test some new gear in the process.

The drive across the Dales was pleasant and we made good time arriving at the car park at lunchtime, we were loaded up and away shortly after. Ten minutes down the trail and we had to stop to remove some layers, although it wasn’t exactly sunny it was very mild when out of the wind.

We checked out a camp spot we’d noticed on the walk out the last time we were here, although it was fairly level and dryish under foot the wind was cutting straight through the clearing, we pushed on for another half a mile ending up at a site we’d used before. We got the shelters up and spent the rest of the evening sampling the dehydrated meals we’d made and generally lolly gagging around camp. We gathered a few bits of firewood from the forestry works left overs and built a little fire in the lee of a root system of a windblown pine. Pretty much as soon as the kindling had taken the wind picked up and the heavens opened, we retreated to my Trailstar to look at some maps and plan a route for the next day, we called it a night after the rain didn’t look to be easing.

Camp for night one
P1000380P.jpg

P1000381P.jpg

Tuesday 20[SUP]th[/SUP] March

I didn’t get much sleep through the night, I seemed to be constantly fighting with my Elite AC as it made its way into a hollow at the foot end of my bivvy bag, more silicon stripes required I think. We packed up in the mist and cold and made our way up the valley to our path.

Packed up and doing the final checks before we left
P1000382P.jpg

On our way
P1000387P.jpg

Looking back to where we’d camped, pretty much in the centre of the shot
P1000389P.jpg

Our path went up
P1000390P.jpg

And up
P1000391P.jpg

We crested the hill and began to drop down into the next valley
P1000393P.jpg

P1000394P.jpg

P1000396P.jpg

As luck would have it and totally unplanned (honest) we passed a pub, a pub which happened to serve food all day and had a nice wood fire burning inside, we felt obliged to stop
P1000400P.jpg

Leaving the pub a short while later after consuming beef and onion sarnies with chips and salad, we headed down the valley and checked ourselves into the NT campsite (all part of the TGO training of course). Shelters up we took a walk down to the nearby lake
P1000402P.jpg

P1000403P.jpg

Looking back to camp, just right of centre in the pines
P1000406P.jpg

My Trailstar pitched on a proper campsite, it got a few looks as folk walked by
P1000411P.jpg

P1000412P.jpg

We spent the evening enjoying more homemade dehydrated meals and making use of the facilities, namely the shower, water on tap and washing up.

Wednesday 21[SUP]st[/SUP] March

This was to be our longest day for sure, it was my turn to navigate and in usual Shewie fashion I’d chosen a route with some testing climbs along the way. We were packed up in fairly good time (we’re getting better anyway)and then headed up the valley once again to find our new path.

Climbing up
P1000416P.jpg

Half way up the first ascent
P1000417P.jpg

Viking sheep apparently
P1000421P.jpg

We stopped at Alfred Wainrights’ resting place for lunch
P1000427P.jpg

Getting a brew on
P1000425P.jpg

Some great views from the tops
P1000429P.jpg

P1000430P.jpg

P1000432P.jpg

P1000433P.jpg

P1000434P.jpg

P1000435P.jpg

We’d planned to camp up high for the night but after spending some time up there in the afternoon we realised our summer gear wasn’t quite up to the predicted temperature. The wind was constant too and as we sat and had lunch we were both layering up again, despite the warmth of the sun the wind was bitter cold, With the likelihood of clear skies and plummeting temps we headed back down off the tops and made our way back to our first camp. The valley was really sheltered when we dropped down and a real sun trap at camp, the mossies and midges were making a first appearance too. We spent the night sat around a small fire, really feeling the benefit once the sun had disappeared for the day. The sky was lit up with stars and satellites, we spent quite a while with our heads craned back taking it all in.

Thursday 22[SUP]nd[/SUP] March

It was cold that night, really cold, I woke around 07:30 to ice on the inside of my tarp. We’d spent some time levelling out the divots and clearing the rocks from our pitches so we both slept much better than the first night here. By the time I’d woken up the sun had risen over the mountain behind us and I was just starting to feel the warmth, five minutes later the ice on my tarp had completely melted. I spent ten minutes wiping the tarp down with my mini pack towel and then got up. I was in ninja mode around camp as I thought Mick might’ve had a cold night in his Softie 3 and would appreciate a lie-in in the sun, I wasn’t wrong either as it turned out.

Morning sun catching the tarp
P1000437P.jpg

Morning brew time
P1000448P.jpg

Some pics of a stunning camp
P1000439P.jpg

P1000442P.jpg

P1000446P.jpg

It was getting on for 10:00 by the time Mick surfaced, right enough he’d had a cold night but was pleased about the added warmth he’d got from the cotton liner he picked up the day before. Neither of us were in any kind of hurry to get away, the sun was high, the wind was nill and we rarely got to enjoy the Lakes on days like this, it was midday when we pushed on down the valley back to the car.

P1000465P.jpg

Magic stuff

WULF

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
Fantastic views and some great pictures.....
im up in the lakes over easter so hopefully weather will be good.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Magic stuff indeed mate,...

this is my fave,...

if i ever get my weight down,..(pack and body) , i,d like a go at this me sen.

You should try it now mate, you'll be fine up there

Fantastic views and some great pictures.....
im up in the lakes over easter so hopefully weather will be good.

Hope you have a good one, where you headed?

Wow what a great place the pictures look good. Looks like you had a great time.
How many miles did you cover

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Only around 30 miles for the time we were there, plus around 2200 metres of ascent

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Great stuff Rich, looks like grand trip out.
I like the second picture and the tarp looks very handy fella.

kodiakjoe

Apr 11, 2011
Leeds
Looks like a great trip and great pics, cheers for sharing Rich.
Whereabouts were you in the western lakes ? I've been trying to guess from the pics and without googling Ritsons bar!

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Rich
That looks like a nice area to visit.;)

Looks like a good trip I was driving out of the area as you arrived I would say.

nutz

Dec 20, 2004
Walderslade
Great write up. Views are stunning. I ave been looking atgettinga Trailstar, what colour did you order? Is that the Olive Brown or the Grey? R the Cuban fibre one?

Cheers

Nutz

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Rich
That looks like a nice area to visit.;)

Looks like a good trip I was driving out of the area as you arrived I would say.

It's new ground for me Alf, I'm really getting to like this side of the Lakes now, you're so lucky to have it on your doorstep

stunning mate

Thanks, glad you liked the pics

Great write up. Views are stunning. I ave been looking atgettinga Trailstar, what colour did you order? Is that the Olive Brown or the Grey? R the Cuban fibre one?

Cheers

Nutz

It's just the grey sil version I got mate, I've read the cuben hasn't worked that well either which is interesting.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Wow looks like an absolutely amazing trip you guys had, also Rick what sort of tarp is that you're using?

It looks fantastic.

Thanks Sheldon, the tarp is called a Trailstar by Mountain Laurel Designs in the US. 50 sq ft of coverage for 453g :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE