A couple of days in the Lakes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
I've just got back from a couple of days in the Lake District so I thought I'd share a few words and photo's from my trip

IMG_0431-3.jpg

As you've probably guessed from the photo above the trip was a rather wet one! Due to the weather I didn't take as many photo's as I'd have liked but I managed to come away with a few that are ok.

During my last trip to the Lakes I realised how heavy all my gear was, since then I've had a bit of a clear out and managed to lighten the load a little. I didn't have too much of a plan for this trip, I just had a few days off and wanted to get out for a bit of walking, and to have a play with/test out my new stuff.

The drive over there was a pleasant one, the rain was on/off the whole way there and the roads were fairly quiet so it didn't take too long. The sun was attempting to break through as I parked the car but I doubted that would be the case for long.

The walk started with an ascent up to Fleetwith Pike and on the way up the first shower of the day came and went, I quite enjoy being out in the rain, as long as I'm not sat about in it getting cold I find it quite refreshing. One of the new bits of kit I took with me were some trekking poles, this was my first outing using them and I have to say I'm impressed, they seemed to help ease the pressure on the knees a little, as well as helping me get across streams and avoid deep boggy sections!

IMG_0438.jpg

From Fleetwith I made my way towards Blackbeck Tarn then on to Innominate Tarn and Haystacks, there are some great views along this route and I took my time enjoying them

IMG_0505.jpg

IMG_0486.jpg

The wind on the tops was very strong so I made my way back down to Innominate Tarn and managed to find a nice sheltered spot to have some lunch. After this I spent the rest of the afternoon exploring the area as well as looking for places suitable to pitch the tent.

IMG_0528.jpg

Originally the intention was to wild camp, I've been to this area a few times before and I'd had a good look at the map and read a few trip reports online so had 2-3 areas in mind of where I was going to camp (A Massive thanks to Shewie who helped me out with the location of one of his previous wild camps spots, I didn't end up using it this time but I scoped it out and will definitely make it there in the future!). I took my Laser Comp with me this time which is still very new to me and is yet to be pitched in the wild. Due to the bad weather and not being 100% familiar with the tent I decided to play it safe this time and ended up using a campsite in Buttermere.

IMG_0596.jpg

Thankfully the rain stopped just as I made it to the campsite so at least I managed to get the tent pitched whilst it wasn't raining. Shortly after the tent was up though the heavens opened, accompanied by strong winds, thunder, and lightening. I don't normally take videos never mind post them but I think this one demonstrates the weather quite well!

[video=youtube_share;Hl-6a2Walc4]http://youtu.be/Hl-6a2Walc4[/video]

Despite the weather I had a great couple of days walking and camping, I love this area of the Lakes. I'm really happy with the new kit I took with me and the weight of it, plus I now have 100% confidence in the little Laser Comp!

Can't wait to get out again

Matt

IMG_0576-Edit-Edit.jpg

IMG_0597.jpg

IMG_0431-2.jpg

IMG_0510.jpg

IMG_0601.jpg

treetop57

Forager
Sep 1, 2012
dumfrieshire
hi some great photos just the kind of paintings i do in watercolour do you mind if i use some of them to paint a watercolour from(sorry no royalty's hi hi )

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Glad you got out Matt, shame about the weather but at least you got the hills to yourself

Will have a proper look later

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
Looks awesome !!!

I need to plan a little outing like this, my lad isnt quite old enough yet, and non of my mates are "outdoors" orientated so it may just be a solo trip like yours !

treetop57

Forager
Sep 1, 2012
dumfrieshire
hi my brother lives in warrinton he's up for camping he goes to wales alot he pretty mush keeps him self to him self[ thats why he's not on bush craft site i could ask him if you like you could meet up then diside QUOTE=markie*mark0;1176373]Looks awesome !!!

I need to plan a little outing like this, my lad isnt quite old enough yet, and non of my mates are "outdoors" orientated so it may just be a solo trip like yours ![/QUOTE]

AlexRowan

Tenderfoot
Sep 9, 2005
Somerset
I went to the Lakes last weekend for the first time - bearing in mind I'm from the Somerset levels, it was truly awesome (in the proper sense of the word, not the Americanism!!). Some of the views literally made me well-up. It's a long way from me but I'll be going there many more times in the future.

You took some great photos. I took a few but frankly, they were rubbish!

Next time, I'll be looking to camp too (we stayed in a really nice B&B so that SWIMBO would be happy if we got wet - which we did!)

Thanks for posting this!!

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
Lovely photos - do you use a DSLR or something lighter?

Do you have a Flickr page? Would love to see some of your other work...

Thank you, these were taken with a Canon G10 which is the camera I normally take with me walking etc, it's lighter and less bulky than my SLR and appears to be able to take the weather quite well too!

I've got a Flickr but don't really use it much so the stuff on there is a little outdated

Matt

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE