Pipe Tobacco Pouch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
Made this pouch for my own use. Wanted to carry some tobacco around in style and if you know me :D I wouldn't buy if I can make it :p

The pouch is part of a system that I have designed but it's the first item that I have made. Looks like the other parts will have to wait.

singteck

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
Thank you Eric. The lining is leather as well. It has a coating on the surface that is waterproof. The opening is build above the fold line so that when you fold the pouch, it seals the opening.

singteck

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Very nice indeed!

But how do you manage to light the pipe with a zippo (Or is it just for presentation;))? I never managed to do that. The bics are much better for this IMHO.

It's a shame that the best tobacco (Balkan Sobranie) doesn't exist anymore

Mike

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
Very nice indeed!

But how do you manage to light the pipe with a zippo (Or is it just for presentation;))? I never managed to do that. The bics are much better for this IMHO.

It's a shame that the best tobacco (Balkan Sobranie) doesn't exist anymore

Mike

Thank you

The only lighter that will work for pipe outdoor is the zippo I'm afraid. You get used to it after a while.

Have not tried the Balkan Sobranie but I have heard a lot about it. Some of my favorites are made by Dunhill but I can't get any here :(

singteck

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
Already a smoker i am afraid :) I got myself a small pack of condor to try , dam coughed one of my lungs up and burned my finger poking the baco down lol stick to roll ups i think lol

If that's the case then I should give some advice :p

It's a steep learning curve at the start but stick with it and you will master it. I can't get used to the charred finger so I always use the tamper I made myself with that piece of makume gane from you :D

singteck

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Dam coughed one of my lungs up and burned my finger poking the baco down lol stick to roll ups i think lol

Hmmm, I'm afraid a pipe is a completely different smoking experience to roll ups, and I've smoked both.

With pipe tobacco, you generally don't inhale like you do a ciggy. You get enough of a nicotine fix from the smoke in your mouth (and sometimes in you nasal passage) so you just need to puff gently rather than suck. It's a skill that takes a little time to master, but I honestly wouldn't go back to cigarettes.

As for burning your finger tip, make a tamper. It just needs to be an inch or so of 9mm dowel that lives in your pocket.

Eric

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Yeah, switching from ciggys to a pipe or cigars takes a bit of practice and discipline - you've really got to train yourself not to suck down a lungful.

I tried switching to a pipe, but for some reason it's just not as compulsive...

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Talking about pipe pouches and pipesmoking; I regret that I wasn't into leathercraft many years ago.

I'ld have fronted all my woolen ghanzi's with a welders apron and prevented much ruination due to pipe burns.

Ceeg

Thanks for the pipe tips I will give it another try , will stop Andy pinching all my roll ups at the least and save me some money :)

Yeh Sing I spotted that in the picture and thought it was the tamper you made from that mokume , dam that was a while ago , glad to see your still using it

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Ah, I really should get my pipe out again. I stopped smoking it a few years back, SWMBO doesn't like to kiss an ash-tray :(

Only a few roll ups now and then... Isn't it a shame how we smoking, knife wielding, camo wearing, fully bearded men are marginalised in society? Shame!

This is a great thread!

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
Been experimenting a little. Here are a few variation.

Tobacco pouch with 2 rare earth magnets.

Machine sewn Tobacco Pouch

Comparison between hand sewn and machine sewn.

Thank you for looking

singteck

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Rare earth magnets - I bet you have to pry those blighters apart. If you have a spare one, drop it down a copper tube just larger than the magnet. You would swear that copper is magnetic afterwards (it's not!).

Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE