Pine resin glue

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I agree roving rich;
I was amazed to see the sophistication of iceman's clothing and tools etc, all woven etc. A fantastic example of total bushcraft. I once tried to make an elbow adze (before he was found) and was amazed to see the similarity. Also similar to Ancient Egyptian axe as well.
Might be an interesting project to re-create icemans kit using modern materials but still using ancient construction methods. It's quite moving just looking at the pictures of his kit, and realising that for him bushcraft was a total continuous reality. It must have looked stunning when it was all new.

MR D

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
I use it a lot - you need to add some beeswax to keep it flexible - about half and half is a good starting point, melt the wax first and add the resin in small pieces. It was usual to add finely powdered material to this as a tempering agent - dry dung, grass fibres charcoal etc. For fixing metal into wood some recipies also included sulphur - this corrodes the metal a bit and the corrosion products expand fixing the metal in place.

the beeswax/pine mix also makes a great varnish if you dissolve it in hot turpentine.

Birch tar is wonderful stuff, you can replace the pine resin with birch tar if you boil the birch tar down until it starts to set, it forms a more flexible pitch and can be used without further additions.

To use them just reheat - you can store small blobs on the end of sticks to save having to reheat the whole lot.

Oh - just in case, these methods involve boiling flammable substances - best to do it outside in small batches with some means of fire control - wet towel or something - never chuck water on it ( especialy turpentine ).

Realgar

den

Nomad
Jun 13, 2004
Bristol
You can make water soluble glue from cherry resin dissolved in almost boiling water. It takes about the same time as PVA to go off,
I’ve used it for fletching to keep the feather in place before it can be fixed on with thread. When applied to things like small whippings it keeps everything locked down and gives it a varnished appearance when dry. I was trying once to make really small natural hooks for coarse fishing. The cherry resin came in really handy for keeping all my whippings in place while I made a few others before I added the pine pitch.
Hope it helps

:p

M

Metala Cabinet

If Oetzi was such a bushcrafter then perhaps archaeologists should be out searching for his home which would have cupboards stuffed with kit: numerous stone knives, a couple of backpacks, a selection of clothes for all seasons and so on.

den

Nomad
Jun 13, 2004
Bristol
Blue bell bulbs...Who'd a thought of that..
That’s a new one for me. Anyone tried it yet?
Making all these tree resin glues when a perfectly suitable glue was waiting under your butt.
:confused:

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
As far as I know native bluebells are protected under Section 13 (2) of the Wildlife and Countryside Act (1981). I know this was true last year (2003) and I guess they are still on the list. Can anyone enlighten me?
Please also remember that digging up plant roots without the landowners permission is theft in the eyes of the law...... though you can buy bulbs ;-) they are mainly sold to conservation groups who go out and plant them....

:)
Ed

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE