Pine pitch / resin / tar

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi folks since I am still laid up with a leg in a cast due to massive stupidity on my part I can't go and collect/ make my own does any one have any of the above commodities to sell or swap for?

i fancy doing some making and learning how to use natural glues, waterproofing etc

Thanks!

ATB

Tom

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have some beautiful pine resin too :D and if you're up for cleaning some up for yourself, I'm pretty sure there's a tub with some raw stuff in the shed.....and I can find it too :) I tidied up :D

cheers,
M

p.s. I have some Stockholm tar somewhere; it's runny, incredibly sticky stuff though.
M

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers for getting back to me so quick!

Red, any pine tar would be great and yes I'm always after beeswax, the rawer the better.

Toddy, Raw stuff is what I'm after as its the faffing about is what I enjoy most! In a vaguely normal world we would go for a bimble and collect some but in the cast its not happening and if I send the family they come back with it mainly on their clothes and with all the tips missing from their penknives... Mind you the woods we normally harvest up at Clough Bottom have been extensively felled over the last year. I'm not sure there's enough left to call it a wood anymore!

The family did go off and harvest some soft rushes for me from up there but once again it was a very poor crop, no really large examples were to be had and I barely got a couple of hundred usable for watch lights and rush dips. On that vague note I did try and make some lights and dips suitable for use in museum displays, ie not using quick rotting animal fats. I'd bought some vegetable oil based sterine for another project so tried dipping the rushes in that. Unfortunately a single dip in pure sterine produced something that just didn't look right, all crystalline and brittler than when made from animal fat. They burned really well, sloped at 45% even thin dips burned at over a minute a inch. But they just didn't look right so I threw a bar of beef dripping into my improvised gresset and gave everything a second dip in 75% animal fat/25 % vegetable . Normally I don't dip twice as the slight increase in flame size/light and increase in burn time do not merit the extra effort and materials used up.

I'll get my coat...

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
yes I'm always after beeswax, the rawer the better.

I'll get my coat...

Be careful what you wish for tom

I can send it to you still with bees on if you want - or in rough cut comb form full of bee larvae and pollen?

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers! A very useful thread that. No hurry, once my foots dressed tomorrow we are off to Ironbridge to do the museums that I can be pushed or limp around, then next day it's the Blackcountry museum, them home to have my foot dressed again and probably be shouted at for overdoing it then Its off to Beamish and a as yet undecided day out, possibly the Yorvik centre and dig at York. Because of the foot palaver the lads haven't had a proper holiday this summer so we want to give them a couple of nights away and they are suckers for living history places.

So having wandered off topic, thanks, in a week or two would be grand!

atb

Tom

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No worries tom - would you prefer sticky unrendered or just a lump or rendered wax? Happy to send either when I have them - I have to pop into hospital later this week but should be able to sort it next week

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE