Pine Martins

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
Seen my first pine martin a few days ago much to my surprise. Having just built a den in the woods I was sitting having a rest when out he popped with a mouse in his mouth, he stopped and looked around before trotting on past me within 6 feet. I was very tempted to say BOO.

Off he went though and a gorgeous looking creature it was. I knew they were around here as we have had reports from locals but this is the first one I have seen.

Back today at the same time and sat for 1.5 hours and guess who came along again?! Tomorrow i'm bringing my camera in the hope I can get a snap and hoping to set up a few sand traps to get its wee feets. I'll post what I can get IF I can get anything decent, elusive little buggers they are.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Where are you,in general, if you don't mind me asking.

I've yet to come across one although i know they are in the south west forests here.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I saw my first in France many years ago, it trotted across the path, looking sideways at me as it went on its way. A great animal to see, it'll be nice if you can get some pics.

I have a Beech Marten which runs across the roof opposite me most evenings, similar to a Pine Marten but a bit smaller I think. :)

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
They are in the woods I go to as well, never been lucky enough to see one although others have, but i have found the claw marks on the trees etc.

Good luck with the pics, I really hope you get lucky.

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
Where are you,in general, if you don't mind me asking.

I've yet to come across one although i know they are in the south west forests here.

A bit further North than you, over in Morayshire.

From what I can gather they are not exactly common here but a wider distribution than most of the UK. I'm usually fairly busy doing stuff or with other people in the woods, all of which creates noise, just goes to show what you can see when you sit down and relax silently at twilight. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE