Pics of hike today in Nova Scotia

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mike Harlos

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2004
Canada
Hi,

I'm visiting Nova Scotia, Canada, for a few weeks. Went on a nice hike today... thought I'd post pics for those who enjoy some different scenery. Everything is pretty much frozen, except for the ocean.

This is a frozen small waterfall.... almost looks as though time had stopped while the water flowed:

icefall.jpg

This shows how much the water levels have changed. Interesting shelf of ice, and how the rock is covered with puzzle-like pieces of ice that must be from a layer of ice that lay above it and collapsed when the water levels dropped:

icelevels.jpg

Here's a beaver dam, with a hole in the ice which I suppose the beaver uses:

beaverdam.jpg

This is a neat shell with a head of hair (some kind of plant growth) on it... looks like a funky hair style :) :

shell.jpg

This is a view of the frozen lake we were beside for part of the hike:

frozenlake.jpg

These are some tracks (rabbit?) in the snow on the lake:

tracks.jpg

Here is a nicely shadowed picture:

shadows.jpg

Wettstuff

Tenderfoot
Oct 14, 2005
Ascot
Wow

Mike you are really lucky to live near places like that. Fantastic scenery. cheer up my monday in the office anyway. Daydreamings great

Mark

BobFromHolland

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 9, 2006
Rotterdam, NL
Brilliant pics, Mike!

I've visited the same area about 16 years ago in summer. Did some great canooing, sailing, surfing, mountainbiking there! It is truely magnificent there.

I still remember the contrast of the Halifax- and Amsterdam airports: Amsterdam Airport seemed to be within city limits and Halifax airport seemed located on a big broccoli (surrounded by beautifull forrests).

Thanks for sharing the views!

Bob

J

JadaFecT

wow

looks absolutely amazing. Would love to visit Canada again, such a wonderful place.

Mike Harlos

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2004
Canada
Tony said:
Where about are you staying Mike? I used to live there..Dartmouth and Liverpool. Great place. :D

Hi Tony,

I'm staying in Halifax, near Dalhousie University. It's a beautiful part of the country... you get the ocean just like the west coast, but it is cold enough in the winter to have snow and ice (a good thing, in my eyes :) )

Mike

Reactions: tomtom

Salix

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
Bolton
WOW :notworthy

Im'e soooooooooooooo jealous :puppy_dog

amazing place, id'e love to go some place like that one day :rolleyes:

Mark

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Mike Harlos said:
Hi Tony,

I'm staying in Halifax, near Dalhousie University. It's a beautiful part of the country... you get the ocean just like the west coast, but it is cold enough in the winter to have snow and ice (a good thing, in my eyes :) )

Mike

Ahh, just across the bridge from where I was. Yep, it's lovely. I’d say the only bad time is when it's spring and the piles of snow are dirty, other than that it's lovely there, especially the Fall.

And house prices are still cheap, I was looking the other day and it's tempting, it's just a bit in the middle of no where!

Tobies Sack

Mar 14, 2006
West Lancs
Theres a place on that map called Seaforth, I work in the real Seaforth here in the real Liverpool in the UK.

Our Seaforth is a proper dump though. :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE