Pickled beetroot

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bob

Forager
Sep 11, 2003
Dorset
Recently I pickled some beetroot off of my allotment. As it was the first time I'd ever done this I used some shop-bought 'Sarsons pickling vinegar' but the result is a bit to acidic for my taste.

Is it possible to alter the taste of my next batch by altering this vinegar, i.e. diluting it (with water? - or will that reduce its' preservative qualities) or by adding sugar (type?) to make it sweeter?

Alternatively, can anyone suggest a more appropriate choice of pickling vinegar? I've loads more beetroot to use and would very much like to pickle some to enjoy later!

Any advice appreciated - thanks.

Bob:)

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Recently I pickled some beetroot off of my allotment. As it was the first time I'd ever done this I used some shop-bought 'Sarsons pickling vinegar' but the result is a bit to acidic for my taste.

Is it possible to alter the taste of my next batch by altering this vinegar, i.e. diluting it (with water? - or will that reduce its' preservative qualities) or by adding sugar (type?) to make it sweeter?

Alternatively, can anyone suggest a more appropriate choice of pickling vinegar? I've loads more beetroot to use and would very much like to pickle some to enjoy later!

Any advice appreciated - thanks.

Hi Bob
Just do a google search for pickling recipes Maxine's trying a few with the beetroot from are allotment.

Bernie

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sarsons can be a bit harsh but it needs that strength to stop things going mushy......that said, they make it strong enough that it can be boiled and still keep enough strength to stop mould growth.

I usually add a good spoonful of soft dark brown sugar to mine, sometimes a couple from the syrup from the jar of stem ginger.
More usually folks cut the acid bite using spices to mellow it out a bit. Look up Pickling Spice and you're bound to trip across lots of ideas.

Best of luck with it, and if you find a real good recipe, hints would be appreciated :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

Chips

Banned
Oct 7, 2008
scotland
If you want to try and reduce the acidity of your current batch, you could try adding some bircarbonate of soda. I would recommend you try this with a small sample first, and the mixture will bubble gases off for a short period.

Bob

Forager
Sep 11, 2003
Dorset
Thanks for your prompt replies - too many choices now!!

I'll let you know how I get on.

Regards

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE