Phytophthora infection

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

yerbache

Forager
Nov 30, 2010
Bridport
Hi all,

I thought it would be worth posting this here, just as a heads-up to anyone camping in forests where there is larch present. As many of you will be aware there has been a much-publicised outbreak in the last year or so of Phytophthora ramoram (and a couple of other sub-species), which kills larch trees very quickly indeed and is highly mobile.

The disease is spread by spores transported predominantly from the needles of infected trees and thus far is a particular problem in South West England and South Wales, although there are confirmed cases in other parts of the country including Scotland.

In the industry we are trying to urge people using the forest to be vigilant when it comes to cleaning boots and equipment of any mud or needles prior to leaving the forest in the hope that we can reduce the risk of infection elsewhere. A link to more info can be found here:

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/pramorum

I can't stress enough the devastation this disease has caused in a very short time to the forests in which it has been identified, so I would urge you while you're out and about to bear this in mind and apply a few basic biosecurity measures to help prevent it spreading elsewhere.

Cheers all

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
I'll second that. I've been involved with trees for the last 15 years and even I was shocked at how bad its been after some recent training in Phytophthora sps.
Watch out around Rhododendron too, there should be info up on the link above.

I'll second that. I've been involved with trees for the last 15 years and even I was shocked at how bad its been after some recent training in Phytophthora sps.
Watch out around Rhododendron too, there should be info up on the link above.

Hi Paul, Barnswood has had defra involved over this with their Rhodies. Parts of the camp are sectioned off and they are having work parties cutting and burning. Adam was not too pleased last week as his favourite den is out of bounds.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE