Physical conditioning with heavy backpack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

superc0ntra

Nomad
Sep 15, 2008
Sweden
I broke my backpack with a routine like that. Kept adding water and iron until I was around 35kg's doing 4-5 mile hikes. Then a seam broke. :(

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Hi all, I received the berghaus cyclops II vulcan a couple of days ago and promptly loaded it with 25kg and went for a 4 miles walk. While it was certainly noticeably more comfortable than the ALICE pack, I can't say the difference was drastic as I still felt most of the weight on the shoulders! I reckon even though I'm nearly 5.11" my chest height is 42cm so I might of been better off with a size 2. I wonder what the Berghaus size number equate to chest heights?

When I returned from the walk I decided to give the dirty ex-issue ruck a good clean with Nikwax tech wash and a nylon brush. Half a bottle and much sweat later I reached the base of the pack when to my horror I discovered a big gaping tear! Luckily the shop is taking it back for a refund and there's no hard feeling because I meticulously checked-over every single part of the pack when I first received it so there must of been an invisible pre-existing weakness at the point of failure, no doubt due to the previous squaddie owner using and abusing it and my 25kg walk was simply the straw that broke the camels back. I wasn't too bothered though, because I've been on a bit of a rucksack shopping spree (second hand, mind) in an effort to get myself as comfortable as possible rucksack because my ALICE pack has made me all too acutely aware that such an effort is quite frankly, essential!

The other two packs are a civilian Lowe Alpine Appalacian 70 litre, which is very comfortable and has customizable chest height adjustment, and a macpac ascent 70 litre which is ridiculously comfortable and well-made, in fact it has converted me civilian packs, and weary of military issue stuff. I'll be testing both packs out with heavy loads in due course.

As for the foot problem, after some thought and research, it's definitely a tendon problem because it's a dull ache that randomly fades away and re appears between either foot. The cause is due to incorrect walking patterns as I've now realalised I have a really bad habit of tensing my leg muscles and keeping my footfalls as silent as possible.. a habit I grew up with as I used to love sneaking around all the time, also from air rifle hunting through woods and fields. As soon as I relaxed my leg muscles and allowed my foot to fall naturally the dull ache drastically reduced. It's a programmed muscle pattern that I need to break-free from, bloody annoying! By the way does anyone else have this problem here?

As for the training, well I'm definately taking on all you peoples advice on going the distance before adding the weight, so that I can correct this faulty movement pattern of mine.

Those army fitness training tests sound pretty damm rigorous. Surely that is marine/para training and not regular army?? Running heavy backpacks is difficult due to the uncontrollable hip swinging.

Oh yeah and about the light-weight maps. I currently have a two-part book that is south and north, each page has a description as well as an OS-map. It is very nice and concise, definately worth the heavy weight!

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...Those army fitness training tests sound pretty damm rigorous. Surely that is marine/para training and not regular army?? Running heavy backpacks is difficult due to the uncontrollable hip swinging...

They do sound rigorous but not exactly at a run. Normal marching speed is 30 inches per step at 120 beats per minute works out to 3.4 miles per hour, so just over 4 miles per hour is a bit less than a run. More like what we call a "forced march."

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
They do sound rigorous but not exactly at a run. Normal marching speed is 30 inches per step at 120 beats per minute works out to 3.4 miles per hour, so just over 4 miles per hour is a bit less than a run. More like what we call a "forced march."

I guess when you put it like that it gives it some perspective. My speed with the 30kg rucksack is pretty much spot-on to the second 3 miles per hour.

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Nope normal tests, gotta be fit to serve, tab(tacticle advance to battle) is how to get around if operational needs must running down hill and (in theory) speed marching up hill, though a lot of the time we seem to end up running too? :D it was one of the biggest things that changed when I started to get more into wanting to watch nature, instead of speeding between points on a map, I slowed and enjoyed the walk too. Now I'm having to speed up again its nice to be able to notice things like hedgerow munchies and wildlife, makes for a lovely If sweaty walk.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
That sounds like what I was imagining Southey. A jog or double time here and a normal march there to keep up the average speed?

Mar 21, 2007
Exmoor
Glad you've experimented and found out about the advantages of civillian backbacks. The Macpac is a really good choice, its good equipment. Just take the time to set it up correctly and get the weight distributed off of your shoulders the best you can. Don't forget to pull everything tight to stop any unnecessary movement of the load.

Keep an eye on any lower limb stresses, sure you're going to get them because of the load but be careful you dont end up with shinsplints. Shorten your stride and cut the pace until your comfortable, remember your goal, mission, whatever, is to get from A to B in one piece. With that, take the time to stretch off, i've just found out about physio foam rollers that are brilliant to get the knots out tight leg muscles. But that might just be me getting old!

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Just an idle thought here, as I'm in no position to give anyone any advice on long-distance load-hauling at speed! But would trekking poles make the walk easier, or just get in the way?

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Just an idle thought here, as I'm in no position to give anyone any advice on long-distance load-hauling at speed! But would trekking poles make the walk easier, or just get in the way?

Yes. In my experience anyway, using poles makes things much easier.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Yes. In my experience anyway, using poles makes things much easier.

they are very good at lower speeds and going down hill, but just get in the way if your going faster and need to smash in the miles.... still worth packing as bivi poles though as they take up just the same amount of room but extend 2 times as much, this gives you more options when setting up...:)

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
i've just found out about physio foam rollers that are brilliant to get the knots out tight leg muscles. But that might just be me getting old!
I've got a rumble roller and it is great. Really helps my back day to day. Really good for working out tired leg muscles. Not practical to take walking though.

I've got issues with my Achilles tendon and am having to re-educate myself to walk differently. At the moment the best I can manage is about 2 miles an hour with a load. Worse of all, I can only get about 1 day out of it as the second I'm a near cripple. But I'm getting there. Walking poles have made a big difference, but I'm not getting anywhere near the distances you're looking at.

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Just went for a quick 1.5 mile walk with the Lowe Alpine Appalachian 75 litre rucksack and I must say the APS back system is seriously comfortable. That being said I only loaded it to 15.5kg, which is half what I normally carry.

As for my foot problem, I think I know what might of caused it because I've had this problem way before this heavy backpack training. As a regular cyclist I tend to turn my feet inwards to avoid getting my trousers trapped in the gear sprockets which is an unnatural position and I think may of caused this problem I have now.

Should I walk through it because I find that after a couple of miles the ache has gone, but does return randomly, and changes foot, occasionally I get it in both feet at the same time. I usually feel the dull ache when springing off from the front of the foot.

Should I completely rest it until the problem goes away or "walk it off"?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE