Photos from Sweden and Norway Trip

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goodison555

Jan 14, 2011
UK
Hi Everyone,

Started in Sweden, canoed in to Norway. Went through Rogen nature reserve on the Swedish side and finished at top of lake Feragen.

Covered ~70km in total over 8 days and had a great time. Norway was particularly beautiful. Hope you like the pics...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

fredster

Forager
Oct 16, 2009
Ipswich, Suffolk
Ah, the humble Oldtown Discovery canoe - beloved of hire centres around the world. As much as the other manufacturers make some truly exotic canoes, I bet they would give their eye teeth for the sort of sale figures Old town must have. Recently went to Wye Valley and there must have been in excess of a thousand of them stacked up there in various hire centres.

Sorry, canoe ramblings aside, great blogg and pics. Was it expensive to hire the canoes? I have been told a few times that its generally expensive to holiday 'up there'. Definitely on the to do list though.

Goodison555

Jan 14, 2011
UK
Teepee - you aren't kidding about the mossies! (and termites/ants!). The repellant I used, deet50, was pretty effective though - the guys I was with on the other hand got shredded.

Fredster - the "old town" canoe was really heavy and there were many several portages over very challenging terrain. In particular, there was a 6km portage which took nearly a whole day and was exhausting! we managed to capsize down some rapids and the canoe was unharmed - it's robust for sure! we met a couple of Norwegians that had aluminium frame canoes. although they took 20mins to put together they were so light. was not expensive holiday. The main expense was getting there tbh. We organised the holiday through a British travel company called Nature Travels - I would thoroughly recommend them.

Saw plenty of reindeer too, got some good video footage but no photos. great scenery!

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Absolutely brilliant!

Thanks for posting.

Beautful looking little brownie. Did you catch that on the fly? On the river?

[Strangely Its top tail fin looks a little worn, which in the UK would be a typical sign of a stockie?]

Last edited:

Goodison555

Jan 14, 2011
UK
The fish were beautiful and wild (although quite small). This was the biggest and it was ~half a pound. the rest were returned unharmed. I was going to take some fly fishing gear with me but decided against it and hiring rods/reels etc proved too expensive (as well as having to carry the extra gear for 8/9 days). I did meet up with two dutch guys however one of whom was fly fishing the other trolling a worm. It was the guy fly fishing that had caught the fish, on a large klinkhammer. I saw a "local" fishing and he was nymphing deep under a cascade (needles to say i saw him walking off with a fish, couldnt tell what sort from distance, but it was easily over 2lb.) Didnt see many rising fish for the whole trip to be honest.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Did you go through the travel company, because you did not know the area?
And if so, after this experience, would you feel confident, to go back, 'unsupported' next time? Or would you book with the company again?

I dont suppose, you logged the route on a GPS by any chance? As a downloadable map?

Goodison555

Jan 14, 2011
UK
Did you go through the travel company, because you did not know the area?
And if so, after this experience, would you feel confident, to go back, 'unsupported' next time? Or would you book with the company again?

I dont suppose, you logged the route on a GPS by any chance? As a downloadable map?

I will upload a google earth path so you can see exactly where we went (although I am slightly unsure of the starting point as it involved a 700m portage and paddling across several small stretches of water before we reached lake rogen.)

going through the travel company was my friend's idea (and it was a good one) as we didn't know the area, as you gather, and they proved to be very helpful (providing information on travel plans, the level of difficulty etc). Getting to the starting point was a bit of a mission - flight to Skavsta airport, 1.5 hour coach ride to Stockholm, 7 hour night train to Ostersund and then 4 hour coach journey to Funasdalen followed by an hour by landrover+trailer to the starting location! The only real downside of going through the travel company was the "schedule" we were on. We felt we had to get to "point B" by day 3, for example, to keep on track when it would have been nice to stop and relax in certain locations if we felt like it. We had a couple of tough days to begin with, involving very awkward portages (very narrow fisherman's/hiking trails over rocks and boulders etc) and this made us think we had better crack on (we ended up finishing 1 and a half days ahead of schedule). Whereas if we had planned it ourselves or chosen a route less challenging we would have been able to take our time more. Still had a fantastic trip though and the unexpected difficulty of the trail added to the 'challenge' element of the experience.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Gorgeous place. Love the sunset! I like how the cribbing that's filled with rocks (supporting the bridge) has dovetailed corners.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE