Phosphorescent mold/fungi at Moot

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jolyon

Life Member
Feb 1, 2010
wokingham
At the moot we noticed a few highly degraded tree remains that 'glowed in the dark' the mold seemed to be aerobic as it did not penetrate far into the wood. It also glowed more when pulverised and warmed gently.
Any ideas?

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
There is Some species of Armillaria that are bioluminescent. Sometimes known as foxfire .

Jul 12, 2010
Mid-Wales
This is interesting. I just did a quick search on 'foxfire' and cross-referenced any species mentioned in the article with Roger Phillips' Mushrooms book. The interesting part is that Roger describes the fruiting parts, but doesn't mention a luminous mycelium.

As it happens, I brought home a piece of pinewood carrying this fungus :) My plan is to carefully locate it under some nearby pine trees and monitor it in case it does eventually fruit. Then we can have a proper chance at ID-ing it. At present it's in my bedroom, glowing dimly... not much use there.

oj

Lupin Rider

Mar 15, 2009
uk
This is interesting. I just did a quick search on 'foxfire' and cross-referenced any species mentioned in the article with Roger Phillips' Mushrooms book. The interesting part is that Roger describes the fruiting parts, but doesn't mention a luminous mycelium.

As it happens, I brought home a piece of pinewood carrying this fungus :) My plan is to carefully locate it under some nearby pine trees and monitor it in case it does eventually fruit. Then we can have a proper chance at ID-ing it. At present it's in my bedroom, glowing dimly... not much use there.

oj

inspiring any lyrics yet?

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
I've seen it growing in rotten wood before too (Ash or Beech the first time - I can't remember witch)

Spent an evening a few years back whittling a head from a slightly punky spalted log. I was last to bed & as the fire died down I noticed scattered shards of light across the floor all around. I looked up thinking it was moonlight through the trees then I kicked some out of the way. I had to wake my mates up to witness it, they'd never have believed me in the morning, lol.

In daylight it was just white mycelium-like layer under the bark (perhaps this could actually be the fruit body of the fungus in the wood though).

Fascinating stuff though & I've seen it a few places elsewhere too now.

Jolyon

Life Member
Feb 1, 2010
wokingham
Thanks Guys,
Posted this then went on holiday! back now..;-)
Looking forward to seeing if it takes in Owens trees, if it ever makes it out from his bedroom..... i know how intoxicating a dull greenish glow can be...;-)
If it is Foxfire then i cant wait to catch it in full fruit, be like being in Avatar..!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE