PHD - Sleeping Bags

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ranger

Forager
Nov 3, 2003
South East
Have any of you experience of a Company called PHD (Peter Hutchinson Designs)? I’m pondering getting a new sleeping bag (a Minim 400) and they offer a sort of bespoke service in that you can have one of their bags adapted to your own requirements, i.e. have it made with a central zip, or double zip and have internal pockets added, choose colour etc.

I was initially thinking of a central zip, but after speaking to someone in a respected independent outdoor shop, who does a lot of camping in mountainous environments, I was advised that this is the most thermally inefficient zipping placement on a sleeping bag. I am now veering towards the double zip option as on the military Nanok bags.

I’d be glad to hear of any of your opinions of this bag/experience with this company, and views on zip placement.

Thanks

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Stuart is your man for this, he has a couple of custom builds from them. They are superb bags, excellent quality down and materials. They use down with a fill power upto 800 which you wont find in most bags, and has an excellent temperature to weight ratio (stuarts goes down to about -8 and weighs about 800g :yikes:)
Probably the best bags I have seen in the UK. Alot of money... I wish I could afford one, but you do get what you pay for.

:)
Ed

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
What about Mtn Equipment extreme range? They do 800 fill power I think (just ceecked and it is 700+). I don't know how much PHD are but I would think silly money if they are custom made. Rab do special projects, I think, so you could get a couple of quotes.

Bill

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Rab do are great bags, especially their compression system i have not seen rivaled!.. and there are lots of other great bags around.. as bill says theres Mountain Equipment too and nanook and snugpak all making great bags.. have a good look round before you order a custom bag as they have a large range between them and i will be surprised if you cant find something to suit your needs..

on the subjects of custom bags i know Stuart has at least one custom bag.. drop him a PM it might well be it was by PHD i shouldn't think there are many custom sleeping bag companys around!

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Hi ranger

I have a custom PHD minim 600 with a waterproof breathable outer which is good to -13 and weights under 1 kilo (close Ed :wink: )

The quality of PHD bags is unsurpassed and will not disappoint, if you can afford it there is nothing better in my opinion.

On the subject of zips, my custom bags were made without zips I prefer not to have them at all.
It removes the hassle of snagging or failer and saves a great deal of weight whilst improving insulation.

Rab do are great bags, especially their compression system I have not seen rivalled

The rab bags are very good, however DO NOT use a compression system on down. Compressing down by force will damage it, and remember to store the bag loose.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
my rab bag is stored in a big cotton thing about twice the size of a pillowcase most of the time but it is compressed when im in the feild and its a down bag :shock:

ranger

Forager
Nov 3, 2003
South East
Thanks chaps. Originally I was thinking of buying a Rab Quontum 400, however, they are not able to supply the bag with either double zips or a central zip. Believe it or not the cost differential on a double zip PHD bag, to the same spec as the Rab I was considering is only £20.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
tomtom said:
my rab bag is stored in a big cotton thing about twice the size of a pillowcase most of the time but it is compressed when im in the feild and its a down bag :shock:

storing the sleeping bag in a big cotton bag is ideal for storage but using a compression system which utilizes straps to compress the bag will damage the down, just put it into a stuff sack by hand

ranger

Forager
Nov 3, 2003
South East
Sorry to keep pestering you Stuart, but how do you find using bags without zips? I primarily want to use the bag as a year round bag in the UK, and especially in the summer if it’s very warm I rather liked the option of either a central zip to open out the bag or the double zip set up as on the Nanok mil spec bags. Further, do you think the central zip option is thermally inefficient for winter use?

Thanks
ranger

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE