Petromax Pressure Lanterns

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Nonsuch, I'm putting in a bid now for Russ for your petromax. He likes the barter system so if it suits you won't lose out one way or t'other :D
He'll be at Comriecroft too.

cheers,
M

M
Done !
I'll see you at CC in a couple of weekend's time and hand it over. If I turn up without it i can always go home and get it, so just remind me !

NS

dasy2k1

Nomad
May 26, 2009
Manchester
I have a lovely vapalux i got of fleabay. Runs a treat. May well bring it to middlewood this weekend if I can get it in my bag. (Not small or light)
Will also bring some spares for tillys I have knocking around.

For the preheater i tend to use a tilly clip on one rather than the original one. Much easier to fill.

Sent from my HTC Legend using Tapatalk

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Oh lordy! I apologise in advance, however; Tilleys (unless you're on about the hats!) are absolutely terrible.

I am given to understand that your comments are justified apropos Tilley's more recent (the last 30-odd years) production. The older models, of which I have a few, are not bad at all and continue to perform admirably.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I grew up with Tilley's in every boatshed and camping trip, indeed my brother is still using our father's one. Wartime or just before ? manufacture and of superb quallity.

I couldn't understand why so many folks seemed to be disappointed in them.

The old ones need spares, and the costs make it cheaper to buy a whole new Vapalux from Endicott's that's all. I'm slowly finding bits and pieces to get them working again.

Incidentally, we also had one of the old Tilley parabolic heaters for Winter time. I love that smell of hot meths and paraffin :D It just smells of comfort to me :D

cheers,
Toddy

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I grew up with Tilley's in every boatshed and camping trip, indeed my brother is still using our father's one. Wartime or just before ? manufacture and of superb quallity.

I couldn't understand why so many folks seemed to be disappointed in them.

The old ones need spares, and the costs make it cheaper to buy a whole new Vapalux from Endicott's that's all. I'm slowly finding bits and pieces to get them working again.

Incidentally, we also had one of the old Tilley parabolic heaters for Winter time. I love that smell of hot meths and paraffin :D It just smells of comfort to me :D

cheers,
Toddy

The older ones are better made, same as the older Petromax being better made than the new ones. I prefer the build quality of a Vapalux/Bialaddin but a service pack from base-camp.co.uk for a Tilley is about £12 IRRC same for the bowl fires you refer too, not too expensive to fix or buy on eBay.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thanks Richard :)
One needs a new vapourizer tube, the pin is totally dead in it, and the other needs a new pump assembly. These two came from the workshop of an old family friend when his son had to clear it out. They both need their washers and seals replaced too. That's why it's cheaper to buy the new ex army ones.
If you or Ian lived closer I'd just pass them on to you for spares.
They're not in the way just now, so I'll keep my eyes open and see what turns up. Astonishing what does sometimes :approve:

cheers,
M

Culloch

Forager
Jun 22, 2008
Australia
I got a huge box of Vapalux spares like globes,mantles,riser tubes etc a while back.sold quite a bit over on BB, I really should try to find where I put all that stuff!

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I am given to understand that your comments are justified apropos Tilley's more recent (the last 30-odd years) production. The older models, of which I have a few, are not bad at all and continue to perform admirably.

I think to be fair; you're right about the vintage lamps, my dad had an old one, which we used for sea fishing when I was a kid. It was always bright and hot, then we bought a new one, around about 1978/9 and it was rubbish!-really bad. It didn't get a lot of use, mainly because it was such a poor performer.

My experience of Tilley's since,has been very similar, hence my bias toward Vapalux.

It makes you wonder what will happen to Vapalux in years to come though:bluThinki

all the best

RB

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Aside from you need to carry meths as well as paraffin for all of them except the petromax. Maybe not an issue for many, but it appeals to me to have a smaller lamp (the HK150) with a self priming system that runs of the same fuel the lamp uses. I know at a pinch you can prime a Vapalux with paraffin, but it's a smokey affair and not something I'd choose to do unless I had no option. That means I have to carry meths for the sole purpose of lighting a lamp as I have nothing else that runs on it.

Yep that's true.. But the preheater is something else to go wrong I suppose and carrying meths around in the context of a camp where you'd be taking a lantern along is possibly not too much of a hardship... Possibly the best solution is get a Coleman that runs on naptha / coleman fuel no potential preheater issues and less priming worries...

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
I had my first proper workout of the HK500 this weekend, once I'd got the hang of the preheater it was really easy to light. I think the guys 'round the firepit thought I was going to take my eyebrows off on my second attempt - when the manual says give it 90 seconds preheat they mean it!
I took the matt NATO version, not as sexy as the chrome or brass but as I knew I'd never polish it - rather more practical. I do like the pressure gauge, takes the guesswork out of pumping action.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Good grief ! what an amount of work compiling a site like that :approve:.........I really hope someone archives it for the future.

I have to admit that many of the lanterns are actually quite beautiful :D They certainly beat twee little tablelights hands down :cool:

cheers,
M

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Possibly the best solution is get a Coleman that runs on naptha / coleman fuel no potential preheater issues and less priming worries...

I took one of these to Middlewood as it was a nice size for carrying on the bike and shared a common fuel with my stove; petrol. I'm pleased to report it performed perfectly and generally attracted favourable comment.

3022-722_500.jpg

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I use the Exponent version, much the same thing just a different colour, good lantern. Stopped using panel wipe or Aspen then Ian?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE