Petromax Pressure Lanterns

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I've got a 500cp petromax and also an Optimus Petromax copy and also a Vapalux M320... In terms of useability the Vapalux is as good as the Petromax style lanterns there is nothing in it TBH....

Aside from you need to carry meths as well as paraffin for all of them except the petromax. Maybe not an issue for many, but it appeals to me to have a smaller lamp (the HK150) with a self priming system that runs of the same fuel the lamp uses. I know at a pinch you can prime a Vapalux with paraffin, but it's a smokey affair and not something I'd choose to do unless I had no option. That means I have to carry meths for the sole purpose of lighting a lamp as I have nothing else that runs on it.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The lantern came with it's original little metal meths bottle, with the seperate little tube, that looks like it 'should' go inside when not in use, but somehow doesn't fit and let the cap seal closed.
In the end I just used a wee squirty bottle meant for machine oil for one of my sewing machines......but the clamp in a jamjar or one of my small screwtop lab tins would be brilliant I reckon.
As it is, it's a real footer.

cheers,
M

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Toddy,
does your MOD Vapalux look like this;

m320lg.jpg

& does your spirit can look like this;

1282567833-23744-0.jpg

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Ian, can I ask ? I have two old Tilleys in need of spares but have been given a Vapalux (unused MOD) but I 'really' struggle to get it lit properly. Pouring, well really trying to squirt, with the little bottle into the fitted preheater leaves my hands and everything else stinking of meths) I 'liked' the little meths heater clamp of the Aladdins.....is there one or sommat similar that would work with the vapalux ?

Must admit Lurch, thon brass petromax looks rather good :D

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy, try and find a spirit cup from a Bialaddin, they work perfectly on the Vapalux and are a friendlier design.

This is the standard spirit cup you will have on yours now, it's a fixed height design and fiddly to fill without a syringe or something....

m320_001-1.jpg

The spirit cups from the Bialaddin models (120 etc) have a hinged stand on them which allows the cup to be lowered for filling and then lifted up to the mantle for lighting...

m320_002-1.jpg

m320_003-1.jpg

I've put Bialaddin spirit cups on both my Vapalux lamps to make filling easier.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Neat tidy wee video that Martyn :approve:

I like your idea though.
It's the bottle that's the bother. It needs a spout to reach, even when I do lift the glass, and then I've got a meths-y spout to find somewhere to put safely. It came with a rubber band to fasten it to the outside of the can.

I quite like the smell of hot meths, but not when my next task is making dinner :sigh:

cheers,
M

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Toddy,
sorry for the delay - things got in the way.
What you need is one of these:

Squeezyprime.jpg

You squeeze the empty bottle & dip the spout into your meths bottle, then ease the pressure on the squeezy & let it suck spirit up. Turn the squeezy upright & poke the swan-neck up between the globe & priming cup so you can squirt spirit into the cup.
Try not to leave meths in the squeezy as if it gets warm it will self-pressurise & spirit will dribble out the spout.

pm me an addy & I'll send you this one.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Toddy,
sorry for the delay - things got in the way.
What you need is one of these:

Squeezyprime.jpg

You squeeze the empty bottle & dip the spout into your meths bottle, then ease the pressure on the squeezy & let it suck spirit up. Turn the squeezy upright & poke the swan-neck up between the globe & priming cup so you can squirt spirit into the cup.
Try not to leave meths in the squeezy as if it gets warm it will self-pressurise & spirit will dribble out the spout.

pm me an addy & I'll send you this one.

Nice one :D Thank you kindly :approve: what a neat solution.

Martyn, B & Q and the like sell this stuff for model making among their stash of assorted metal rods.

cheers,
M

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
With apologies to the OP, I have to be bit of a dissenter and say my Petromax 500 is a turkey. It looks fantastic but after a few minutes chugs and pulses like crazy. I have fiddled with everything - air gaps etc and taken suggestions from the best on spiritburner. I since got an MOD Vapalux and it is brilliant.

If anyone wants it and they are local they can come and pick it up for free. I'm coming to Comrie Croft so you could take delivery there if you like

NS

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nonsuch, I'm putting in a bid now for Russ for your petromax. He likes the barter system so if it suits you won't lose out one way or t'other :D
He'll be at Comriecroft too.

cheers,
M

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
And me with an Uncle, two brothers, three cousins and a son all into model engineering too :rolleyes: I even get a discount in the local model shops because they know me so well.....................RB that's just a brilliant solution :D
Never gave a needle valve on the end of a bit of aerofuel tubing a thought :rolleyes: I could even fix that onto the original fuel bottle :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
What's up with your Tilleys BTW, doesn't take much to keep them going.

Oh lordy! I apologise in advance, however; Tilleys (unless you're on about the hats!) are absolutely terrible.

They are way overpriced, unbelievably poor quality,desperately inefficient and unfortunately; just do not work any where near as well as a Vapalux.

Sadly; the Tilley is typical of the sort of manufacturing standards, that killed the British car industry.

They seem to be manufactured with "that'll do" standards. The hoods chip and rust if you cough at them, the "chrome" cages must simply be "introduced" to the plating process, as these too, rust terribly and the amount of light and heat they are capable of producing is pitiful. :(

The Vapalux would also benefit from a bit of re-design but at least at the moment, and until the new (foreign?) buyers start "improving" things, they are easily the better lamp.

RB

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE