Petromax HL1 vs Feuerhand 276

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hemdale

Nomad
Jan 30, 2012
London
Hi everyone,

Haven't been on BCUK lately (for a long time to be honest) ! Feels good to be "back".

I'm in search for a hurricane lamp and I wanted to have your input.
It seems these two below are almost identical but I wanted to know which one you would recommand ?

Many thanks !

Petromax HL1:
hl1.jpg

Feuerhand 276:
31644607.JPG

[video=youtube;lMy2XQ4_NW8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMy2XQ4_NW8[/video]

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I have both, there's not much in it to be honest. The Petromax is smaller, and to me, more appealing.

hemdale

Nomad
Jan 30, 2012
London
Thanks Nice,

Would you mind telling me how much smaller ? What about the fit / finish / build quality of the two ?

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I'll take a picture for you later to show size, and have a good look at them both.

I've only recently got the Petromax, it's to go in the new belltent, so I haven't had it alight or familiarised myself with it yet. It does look nice though.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Here you go.

Quality wise, there's not a lot in it. Both are fairly utilitarian and tough. The Feuerhand is probably the original on which so many are based. It also boasts a type of glass that doesn't shatter if it gets rained on, I don't know if the Petromax has this feature.

hemdale

Nomad
Jan 30, 2012
London
Many thanks for this, am I to assume that Petromax is on the right and Feuerhand on the left on the image ?

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I have a Feurhand bay special and it's great. Solid bit of kit that just works well- can't say I'd change anything about it. :)

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Here's a question for you.

I have some Red watch glasses that I'm looking for lanterns to fit.

Can you give me some dimensions for the glass bulbs by any chance?

Particularly the diameter at the top and bottom.

Oh you bugger, I just put them back in the garage :lol:

Measured to the outside edge of the globe.

Petromax is 57mm top, 53mm bottom. Didn't measure the height on it, sorry, it's back in the garage.

F.hand is 64mm top, 58mm bottom, about 90mm high

There's room for slight size variation, but not too much. Height isn't so important because the tops of the lamps are spring loaded to hold the glass in.

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
I seem to remember that the Petromax glass is toughened too. If it was me I would go for the Petromax. Both lamps are the best of this style of lantern though. It is like choosing between a BMW and Mercedes. Either way you are getting a premium product.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The difference in quality between the expensive hurricane lanterns and the three for a tenner off ebay is marginal. I've a couple of Feuerhand lanterns and they are no better than the cheap ones and they will still rust if you leave them untreated.

kawasemi

May 27, 2009
Where the path takes me
I love the old hurricane lamps and still use them when the Scouts go camping. Some of our old ones must be 40 + years old.

I was thinking about some new ones so this thread has been helpful, thanks.

There does appear to be quite a price range for the Feuerhand ones. I have found them from £18 - £28 for the 276 model but I guess there could be some copies out there.

TBH I have found one major difference with the FH and the eBay cheapies...the cheapies end up leaking as much fuel as they burn!!

K

TroubledTalent

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2014
The woods
The difference in quality between the expensive hurricane lanterns and the three for a tenner off ebay is marginal. I've a couple of Feuerhand lanterns and they are no better than the cheap ones and they will still rust if you leave them untreated.

Gotta say I agree with rik. I got 3 for £13 on amazon. 1 had a bent handle, that was it in terms of defects. They still working great 2 years on and they look identical to the Feuerhand

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE