Petrol / White Gas stoves

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
neo_wales2000 said:
I just love my Svea 123 and Optimus 8r, small, high output of heat, any other users on the forum?

I just sold the last of my two svea 123's.
Sort of heartbreaking as they were about 20 years of my outdoor life, but it had started to leak from the side and the missus was terrified of it :yikes:
I did think about hanging it with other brass bits and fishing reels I have, but Xmas and pressure from SWMBO after lots of other recent purchases got me to sell.
I have to be honest though, apart from a nice keepsake they have been well superceded as cookers, just as someone younger with decent knee joints ("I want that one!") will supercede me too. :cry:
They call it progress :?:

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
I have a few of the old classic stoves, no SVEA 123's but Optimus 00, Primus 123, Optimus 111C ...etc. They work as well as any modern pressurised liquid fuel stove and theyre probably more reliable (I think mine are all over 30 years old and still working perfectly, despite many years of abuse at the hands of a scout group). I run mine on white spirits which is similar to paraffin but cheaper and easier to find round here. I do use them on occassion, great heat output, controllable but a bit heavy compared to some of the alternatives, not the first stove I reach for if Im carrying everything over any distance but I love em anyway!

Ok not strictly petrol but similar I have petrol jet for the 111C.

I most often use a modern Primus MFS atm which will run on petrol/paraffin or butane/propane mix cartridges.

Been experimenting with spirit stoves just lately, Swedish army Sveas and a home built photon stove, no comparison in terms of heat output but they can be very light if youre only cooking for one.

Jason

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I still have my Svea 123, but it has been retired for a couple of decades. I still think it is a very good stove though, just that my MSR's have replaced it as top line choice.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
There were newer alternatives to these classics when I first shopped for a petrol stove, so no. But I have and still use the coleman peak 1 and despite their bad press about flare ups (just give it a chance to warm up before you try and run it full bore), I don't have any problem with it. Heavy but chucks out loads of heat, very controllable, stable, robust and if you stay away from leaded petrol the generator tubes DON'T clog up.

I'd use something lighter for backpacking these days though :eek:):

Pete E

Forager
Dec 1, 2004
North Wales
Alick,

I had a Peak 1 that must have been a flame thrower in a former life! :roll:

I remember borrowing it to somebody else while on Excercise and forgot to mention it was "tempemental" :?: ...he had one huge "flare up" that singed his eyebrows off and melted/burnt a big chunk out of his issue basha !!:eek:):

he never asked to borrow it again, for some :?: reason?

Regards,

Pete

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
I wore out a 123 (still have the carcass) and moved on to an 8R. Then, about 1985, I bought an MSR Whisperlite. Poor 8R has not had a chance since. The Wisperlite is every bit as reliable as the 123/8R and far more adjustable. A couple years went by and I also acquired a Coleman Multi-Fuel, and it's a goodn' too. Even better for simmering than the Wisperlite and 100% reliable. Now the Wisperlite is the "backpacker" and the Multi-Fuel is for car camping.

leon-1

Yep like the whisperlite international, a good easy to use and fast stove. I also have the Peak 1 Apex, it's a bit battered now, but it has done me no injustice and the original Peak1's that I have used I had very few problems with. :wink:

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
I should add that I borrowed an original brown-tank Peak 1. It allowed me to experience the "Vesuvius Effect" often seen with this model in cold weather --six foot orange flames. :yikes: Fortunately, there was a bucket to place over the confligration, shutting off the air.

zambezi

Aug 24, 2004
DEVON
I have the great fortune to own a Coleman Multifuel and MSR Whisperlite. I will take either or both when travelling by motorcycle or car. They are great performers and fuel versatile.

However, the gadget that has ousted both of these from my back pack when I am hiking is the simply genius Titanium GigaPower stove from Snow Peak: http://www.snowpeak.com/Gear/gst100a.html

At sub 90g and barely a handful, it is space and weight efficient. Sure you are stuck with gas only, but in the european environment supplies are as obiquitous as white fuel.

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
Even a pseudo Trangia aka "photon" can be made to flare if you prime it right! Works the opposite of the old flare monsters tho, has to be over primed rather than under......

Photon_flare.jpg

useful if youre in a real hurry for that cup of tea ;)

Heres part of my collection of old stoves for your amusement, some heavier than others ;) and most of em older than me! The 3 ring Primus popane is still the favourite for summer car camping with the missus, it was used daily when I lived in a caravan as a student and for 20 years before that it lived with our old family touring van.

stoves.jpg

Made a couple of these to work with my Swedish army Svea's after seing Hoodoo's Westind, this one in stainless works really well, I made another in thin brass that isnt as rigid.

westy.jpg

Incidentally, dont polish your Trangia burner, I buffed this one up on the wheel just for the hell of it and it really effects the heating up time! Being able to slip a candle under this setup is a really neat feature, the bigger Swedish army burners seem to be fairly inefficient in terms of warming up anyway, suspect all that brass just conducts the heat away.

Jason

Pete E

Forager
Dec 1, 2004
North Wales
Do the modern multi fuel/petrol stoves handle "ordinary" unleaded petrol anybetter these days? May old Peak 1 seemed to clog up badly every few months but that was pre unleaded days.

Are there any other alternatives to "Coleman Fuel" which at about £5 must actually be liquid gold :roll:

Regards,

Pete

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
Unleaded is not reccomended as a stove fuel, contains too many nasties too close to your food, I would only use it in desperation. Re your question, unleaded is pretty sooty in all the stoves Ive tried it with and will always clog the jets with soot sooner than white gas, less of an issue with the stoves with shaker jets which MSR copied from Primus but not a clean fuel. Coleman fuel is expensive over here, sth to do with the duty I think??? but its the cleanest burning stuff you can use in a petrol stove.

Jason

neo_wales2000

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2004
wales uk
A couple of posts worry me a little here, white spirit is a definate NO as its full of stuff you don't want in your lungs or food. :yikes: As an alternative to the way to expensive Coleman fuel I use lighter petrol; its the same stuff (Naptha) and if you shop around works out at half the price of Coleman. Some guys on another forum use 'Panel Wipe' car paint cleaner which they tell me is also 'Naptha' and costs about £11 for a 4 litre can in the UK; I've not tried it myself but will give it a go (try it at your own risk). I've got a lot of paraffin stoves, old Primus type that are mainly on the shelf for display, but a couple get to be used from time to time as they are so reliable. This year I also picked up an Army No12 stove, like the No2 its big and heavy, but its made of stainless steel and brass, burns parrafinn/kerosene or diesel fuel no problem. Its very loud but burns like a rocket engine; its not light but will cook for a group no problem. Expect to pay (if you can find one) £100+

PS Trangia + Svea 123 = happy weekend camping. PPS the Russian 8r clones on ebay are a good bit of kit too :)

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
Panel wipe is extremly volatile stuff and it isnt advisable to breathe the fumes from it. It is like a more powerful version of thinners!

EDIT: I may be getting panel wipe mixed up with gun wash, now that is bad stuff.

neo_wales2000

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2004
wales uk
True the 123 is a lower output than 'modern' stoves, but its a lot more reliable. Re: lighter fuel, the last lot I got for 90p per 133ml tin which works out at about £3.38 for 500ml; a lot cheaper than Coleman fuel. Until I see whats on the label of panel wipe, I'll reserve judgement, but I know that a typical high street 'white spirit' only contains about 10% naptha fuel so whats in the rest of the bottle, I don't want in my body.

Thats the beauty of the Trangia burner or for that matter a paraffin/kero stove, at least you know what fuel your burning.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE