Petrol / White Gas stoves

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AUSSIE

Tenderfoot
Feb 11, 2004
All you need to do to see what can go wrong with an MSR Stove in any model is to go take a look at the contents of an MSR Stove Maintenance / Spare Parts Kit!!!

simonsays

Forager
Sep 9, 2004
sunderland
AUSSIE said:
All you need to do to see what can go wrong with an MSR Stove in any model is to go take a look at the contents of an MSR Stove Maintenance / Spare Parts Kit!!!

Exactly. The son of a friend of mine once boasted that his super-duper MSR had a comprehensive toolkit for field maintanance. 'Alas' I said, 'My Trangia doesnt have a toolkit coz it doesnt *need* one' :eek:):

Cheers,
simon

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
simonsays said:
Exactly. The son of a friend of mine once boasted that his super-duper MSR had a comprehensive toolkit for field maintanance. 'Alas' I said, 'My Trangia doesnt have a toolkit coz it doesnt *need* one' :eek:):

Cheers,
simon

One can imagine the maintenance kit for a wood fire. In another life, I cooked on cans full of sand in which we poured gasoline. Few maintenance problems there. :super:

I have a Whisperlite with at least 360 hours of operation since I bought it used fifteen years ago. It has had no problems at elevations from 200m to 4000m and temperatures from 40C to - 25C. The maintenance kit that I inherited from the first owner remains unused. There are Murphy-ridden pressure stoves out there. The Whisperlite is not one of them.

neo_wales2000

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2004
wales uk
I agree about the maintanence free aspect of the Trangia in all its various models, however sometimes I think we all want that little 'extra fast' heat, so I have converted a cheap £7 gas stove to use with my 25, works well.

Every stove needs some maintanence, even if its only knocking out a few dents in a Trangia. You would not leave your car parked up for a few months and expect it to start up and work 100% without looking it over first, same applies to stoves. Common sence really, don't leave them full of petrol/coleman fuel for months, drain them, fire them up at home if they have not been used in a while, check seals and pump leathers, if in doubt, change them. I've got one Primus model 210 made in 1916, which had been in a shed for 40 years when I got hold of it, one new pump leather, clean of the jet, clean parafinn and it worked first fire up. I get a real kick using that stove, its fantastic, so is an ancient Primus 96 (although its small tank means a shortish burn time) which burns like a rocket.

Happy new year to you all, and keep 'em burning

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE