Perth, Scotland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Knowing someone will be able to advise me on here, I'm likely to be relocating my job up to Perth, Scotland. I don't know the area well but want to live within commuting distance of Perth but have a "Bushcraft Facility" on my doorstep. I'm looking at buying land initially and building my own place maybe a copy of the £4000 house shown elsewhere on the site. Any advice and guidance from the great communal mind that is BCUK is appreciated.

p.s. any areas to avoid within Perth and the surrounding area would also be greatly appreciated.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
SCOMAN
My better half's family live just outside Perth in the Forgandenny area (about 7 miles out). Its seems quite good for bushcrafting being rural with with some native birch and some very mature trees on large estates.Perth itself seems a nice place, not to big, not to small, with very good acess to the main trunk routes to the east and west highlands (Cairngorms 2hrs/ Glencoe 11/2 hrs).
Although im not that familiar with other areas and I cant help on your other question my general impression is your very quickly into rural countryside with plenty of outdoor opertunity.
Hope this helps.
Ta Ed

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
It might be useful, as you come from south of the Border, to look at the Local Authority website for your chosen area. The planning laws here are quite different from those in England and I'm not sure if Perth and Kinross Council are in favour of this type of house or not. Permissions can differ from one Planning Authority to another.:rolleyes:

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
i think you'll find land with any kind of development potential within reasonable commuting distance of perth comes at a premium.

if i had a job in perth i'd live in the city and commute out to do bushy stuff. that'd cut down on my weekly travel time. Its really easy to get out of perth into pretty territory.

saying that blairgowrie might be worth a look. Its about a half hour on the bus from perth and is still relatively cheap.

btw, whats the job?

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
i think you'll find land with any kind of development potential within reasonable commuting distance of Perth comes at a premium.

if i had a job in Perth I'd live in the city and commute out to do bushy stuff. that'd cut down on my weekly travel time. Its really easy to get out of perth into pretty territory.

saying that blairgowrie might be worth a look. Its about a half hour on the bus from perth and is still relatively cheap.

btw, whats the job?

I'll second that. Land is at a premium around that area as it's quite fertile so lots of farms etc. My mothers family come from that neck of the woods so know it fairly well. Perth isn't a big place so it's very easy to get out of. I used to take my bike on the train to Perth then cycle from the station to the Scottish Game Fair at Scone Palace. Very easy to do and doesn't take very long . . . probably faster than going by car!

The Glen Almond area is nice as is the Crieff area (climbed Ben Chonzie not so long ago - one of the most southerly Munros I think - a bit boring but good views down to the Loch Turret). Would also second Locums advise about Blairgowrie area - especially Glen Isla and Glen Clova - both stunning. Basically the further north or west you go from Perth the more wild and woolly it gets, however, you are in the countryside within about 15 minutes for Perth city center so you don't have to go far.

Really worth coming up and spending a couple of weeks exploring the area - you'll soon find a spot that has the right "vibe" but be prepared to fork out a fair amount of wonga for a good spot. Good luck.

In Wood

Nomad
Oct 15, 2006
Leyland, Lancashire.
I would have put more LUCKY's but would not fit.:tongue-ti

Scoman you are moving to one of the most beautiful places in the world.

My wife and I love the area, Birnham & Dunkeld are just to die for, if you can get any where round there you will be blessed. it is about 20 mins out of Perth up the A9 we try to go there every year just to chill and admire the beauty of it all.

Your only problem will be where to go shrafting, you will be that spoilt for choice.
All the very best to you, you LUCKY, LUCKY, LUCKY, LUCKY, LUCKY, LUCKY, LUCKY, LUCKY, LUCKY, LUCKY,LUCKY, LUCKY, LUCKY, LUCKY, LUCKY,LUCKY, LUCKY, LUCKY, LUCKY, LUCKY,LUCKY, LUCKY, LUCKY, LUCKY, LUCKY,LUCKY, LUCKY, LUCKY, LUCKY, LUCKY,LUCKY, LUCKY, LUCKY, LUCKY, LUCKY,:tapedshut

PS. Want a lodger?:eek:

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Cheers guys thanks for all the advice and recommendations. I'd rather not say which job I've got as I don't want to Jinx it I haven't had the formal offer in. On the plus side I'm heading up over Easter to look around and try to find a few areas to focus on. Anyone else with advice it's all greatfully received.

Paul

Soloman

Settler
Aug 12, 2007
Scotland
Scoman im just down the road.
Id be very interested to lend a hand on a project like that
Good luck with the job.
Soloman.

BOD

PERTH, SCOTLAND??? LONDON, ENGLAND?? PARIS,TEXAS?? FRANCE, EUROPE??

I'm sure you were just being precise SCOMAN, but there is only one Perth.

I come from Perth, Western Australia, but would never presume to require that the real Perth ever needs to have its location stated no matter how Geographically Challenged the inhabitants of a particular country may be

Irregardless of what the inhabitants of Perth, North Dakota ( or Moscow, Idaho; Rome, Georgia; London, Ohio) may think, the original cities should be known simply by their name .

We must never give in to this tyranny. At least on BCUK.

"We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in France,Europe,... we shall fight on the beaches Kent, England, ... we shall fight in the fields Sussex, England ... we shall never surrender"

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
PERTH, SCOTLAND??? LONDON, ENGLAND?? PARIS,TEXAS?? FRANCE, EUROPE??

I'm sure you were just being precise SCOMAN, but there is only one Perth.

I come from Perth, Western Australia, but would never presume to require that the real Perth ever needs to have its location stated no matter how Geographically Challenged the inhabitants of a particular country may be

You're an Idealist BOD - I wish it were that easy! At least people from your Perth know where the name comes from...

I grew up in Crieff, but it's not well known so when asked where I'm from by anyone but a Scot, I reply 'near Perth'. But, you see, I have already braced myself for the answer that's coming, which is ALWAYS:

"Funny, you don't sound Australian"

Dare I say it, even our southern neighbours are generally so ignorant of our geography that any explaination of a place in Scotland has to be done in relation to Edinburgh and Glasgow. Even doing that, most of the time the inquirer just stares politely and blankly, pretending to understand, a bit like a Groom looks when with his future wife and family while planning a wedding...

Anyway - on topic, I agree with the advice above. There are still some affordable places round there. You could check out what's available around Dunkeld, Aberfeldy, Blairgowrie, Coupar Angus, Crieff, or Auchterarder. All of those are an easy drive into Perth. There was a reasonably affordable rental market while I was in the area, you could always rent a nice farm cottage somewhere while you get a feel for the region.

Note that you can't plan how much time the commute will take by looking at the map. Distance isn't quite so significant to commuting when you're in that area. Sometimes if you're in an old cottage on the side of a hill it'll take you 10 minutes to get down the track, before you get to the road. And often, you'll be behind a tractor...

Hope you manage to get that job sorted SCOMAN, it's a lovely area up there. In most of the local towns there's a bit of urban decay, a few disaffected youths, but 5 minutes in the car and you're in picture postcard territory.

Good luck!

Neil

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
:You_Rock_ Cheers guys that's all good advice I'm heading up the first week of my Easter Holidays to check it out. I'm very excited.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE