Pertex/Pile Hammock?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Just been thinking . Always a bad move for me.

Hammock wise , would a hammock that seals up coccoon style made from Pile / Pertec be a good step forward?? Same material as Buffalo shirts , Montane smocks etc?

I realise the clothing benefits from being close fitting and thus retains heat and evaporates sweat etc , just that i have an idea that a p/p combo hammock may be a good idea.

No hammock in a separate coccoon , just a hammock made from that material? would it stretch?Would you still need a kip mat to insulate.

??

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
You would 'survive' with such when wet and without shelter,but to be comfy you'd still need shelter and insulation.

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
The pile would definitely stretch. And I can't imagine it being very light or packable. But, hey! buy some materials and give it a try. I'd be interested to see a new take on the hammock warmth problem.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I guess i'm looking at as a single piece of equipment regardless of weather conditions that can be regulate by being fully zipped up' winter' to fully open 'summer' .

I guess comfort would not be the best , but may be worth a play.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I don't think the pile would provide good enough insulation once it's flattened under the weight. Maybe for 2 season stuff it would probably work okay.

I messed around with all sorts of DIY stuff a couple of years ago but never quite got it right. The best night's kip is with a underblanket which is essentially half a sleeping bag suspended underneath you, it doesn't flatten but at the same time is held against the body to provide warmth.

Maybe two layers of p/p and something in between might be interesting/worth a go ?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
So is most of the cold wind chill on the 'belly' of the hammock??
So the underblanket acts a buffer against the cold air?

Soery , I have got a cocoon and a hammock , have yet tried either.

Terrible but true.

I made a pile poncho liner underblanket with a tutorial on here and it works very well. As good as the proper underblankets as sold on here.

I made it for under £10 and use it all the time. Pile works very well as an underblanket but it's very hard to source anywhere other than in mattress toppers for around £10.

WS

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I made a pile poncho liner underblanket with a tutorial on here and it works very well. As good as the proper underblankets as sold on here.

I made it for under £10 and use it all the time. Pile works very well as an underblanket but it's very hard to source anywhere other than in mattress toppers for around £10.

WS

Would that be pile on the outside then in a hammock scenario WS ?

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
So is most of the cold wind chill on the 'belly' of the hammock??
So the underblanket acts a buffer against the cold air?

Soery , I have got a cocoon and a hammock , have yet tried either.

Terrible but true.

Yep.
That's about it.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
So could this not be achieved by having windproof material that 'hangs' under the main body of the hammock belly thus creating a air gap ? would'nt this stop the wind chill? use the air gap as the insulator?? So on the bottom would be Strong reinforced Pertex ,then a 2-3" air gap then another pertex layer then the Pile inner??

Would that be pile on the outside then in a hammock scenario WS ?

Essentially it was a pile poncho liner that worked as the best underblanket that I've ever used! I lined a poncho with pile, then tied the whole poncho with pile facing the hammock, underneath the hammock on the outside. Works a treat. I use it regulalry and only wish I could get a hold of some pile in green!

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Where could one get Fibre Pile material from by the metre then ? Oor would you have to cannibalise something??

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I guess i'm looking at as a single piece of equipment regardless of weather conditions that can be regulate by being fully zipped up' winter' to fully open 'summer' .

I guess comfort would not be the best , but may be worth a play.

Buffalo clothing, at least the lightweight gear, relies on your body heat to keep you warm when its wet, when you stop for the night your expected to change into something warmer and drier. The heavyweight buffalo gear, belay jacket etc. is extremely warm but also bulky and quite heavy.

You may want to investigate the use of wool or alpaca blankets instead :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE