personal kit tin

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

b1k3rwaif

Nov 1, 2005
HERTS

(click on pic to inlarge)

contents list..

1.standard tabacco tin
2.sandwich bags , size lagre
1.condom (unlubricated for water carrying)
1.beta light (or similar)
1.bic lighter (small )
1.spare flint (for above)
1.tin opener
1.small lock knife
1.button compass
1.pencil
1.wiresaw
1.tea-light (light it before packing as a prelit wick will catch a lot quicker when you need it)
1.book of matches
10. aquapure tablets
1.small sewing kit(you never know)
fishing line/ hooks and weights
20ft.brass wire
6.safety pins(various sizes)
1.bin-liner (as large as you can find, this goes outside the tin)
1.Magnesium Firestarter (use the back of the knife as a striker)
as many cotton pads as you can fit to stop rattling and as kinder)
25ft.paracord (wrapped around tin)
tape to secure it (can be used for various things)

OhCanada

Forager
Feb 26, 2005
Eastern Canada
I find that most mini-kits annoy me because the maker tries to include everything and only end up with junk.

Your kit however is well made and the items well chosen.

I have never been able to get the condom trick to work for me so I include an oven bag that is very thin but can handle the heat of an oven so it is tough. Oven bags though will not work on an open fire, it's just for water storage.

Brendan

Nomad
Dec 1, 2004
Surrey UK
Nice well put together kit I have a few very similar kits, I usually add vaseline to my cotton tinder balls for a more effect and a photon torch + spare batt (same battery works my car alarm) and I was gratefull of that once. Also chuck in some steri strips and a couple of strong pain killers and a small tube of super glue,this is good jf you get a really bad cut,I've glued myself together before after all this is what it was invented for originally!
I have found some 8ft bin bags from work, these are very lightweight and cheap bivvy or cut to make a shelter.
As for the condom and water carrying Oh Canada you'll find it easier if you put the condom in a sock before you fill it.

redflex

Need to contact Admin...
I know a bit off topic,

but how often do tins get used?

Are the in case of emergencies or put of everyday kit?

I know a lot of people love them, but I have never real understood the need for them and never had one.

Sorry if it sounds silly just thought I ask, maybe I am missing out on something. :(

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
OhCanada said:
I find that most mini-kits annoy me because the maker tries to include everything and only end up with junk.

I have never been able to get the condom trick to work for me so I include an oven bag that is very thin but can handle the heat of an oven so it is tough. Oven bags though will not work on an open fire, it's just for water storage.

I have never been able to get the Condom trick to work either...thats why I have three kids :lmao: :nana: :lmao:

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
OhCanada said:

Hi folks,

you can use oven bags on an open fire and they you can get it to boil, but and there is always a but, the water turns a funny colour if you aren't careful.

other photo's are available for your viewing. Just let me know or visit http://ludlowsurvivors.bravehost.com/photographs.html
Dave @ ludlowsurvivors

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
redflex said:
I know a bit off topic,

but how often do tins get used?

Are the in case of emergencies or put of everyday kit?

I know a lot of people love them, but I have never real understood the need for them and never had one.

Sorry if it sounds silly just thought I ask, maybe I am missing out on something. :(

I agree...I don't see any need for them in civilian life. If I'm off to the wilderness then I carry everything I need anyway...why would I carry it again but in miniture.

And how much value are they really....you can't take them in hand luggage on planes so chances are you wouldn't have it if the plane crashed...it becomes a pain to carry about in towns (I'm talking while out of the uk here as you'd no doubt be arrested as a nutter if you were found with one in the uk lol - joke before anyone starts on me! lol :p ).

A lot of the items are pointless....the wire saw for example that all those little kits have are next to useless. In fact going down the list I don't think there's much there I'd want to take with me, maybe the brass wire and the knife (if it was a good one) and that's about it...I mean, what do I want a tin opener for? ? ? :confused:
Everything else I can at some point make for myself. Even the tin is really too small to boil up a brew with....

I was issued a similar kit in the army and for short term E & E they do have a use but as an outdoors person and bushcrafter I am very much following the "Carry less (in the way of gadgets and pointless kits) by knowing more.

I don't mean the above confrontationally and by all means you guys carry what you like but I'll stick with a good knife and as a luxury have a firesteel on the sheath :)

Cheers,

Bam. :D

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
bambodoggy said:
I agree...I don't see any need for them in civilian life. If I'm off to the wilderness then I carry everything I need anyway...why would I carry it again but in miniture.

And how much value are they really....you can't take them in hand luggage on planes so chances are you wouldn't have it if the plane crashed...it becomes a pain to carry about in towns (I'm talking while out of the uk here as you'd no doubt be arrested as a nutter if you were found with one in the uk lol - joke before anyone starts on me! lol :p ).

A lot of the items are pointless....the wire saw for example that all those little kits have are next to useless. In fact going down the list I don't think there's much there I'd want to take with me, maybe the brass wire and the knife (if it was a good one) and that's about it...I mean, what do I want a tin opener for? ? ? :confused:
Everything else I can at some point make for myself. Even the tin is really too small to boil up a brew with....

I was issued a similar kit in the army and for short term E & E they do have a use but as an outdoors person and bushcrafter I am very much following the "Carry less (in the way of gadgets and pointless kits) by knowing more.

I don't mean the above confrontationally and by all means you guys carry what you like but I'll stick with a good knife and as a luxury have a firesteel on the sheath :)

Cheers,

I guess this is one of those "each to their own" threads. I carry a personal kit always. In fact I layer equipment. Real basics live on my person at all times, a slightly more advanced kit (a bit like the one above but with my own twist) lives in either my laptop bag or coat pocket (its actually a Maxpedition pouch). My car has more gear than I care to describe. Almost without exception, everything I carry has been used many times. I guess I consider it an extension of self reliance. I would hate to have to ask someone for a pair of scissors, plaster etc. Others don't seem shy to ask me though!

You can call me a survivalist if you like, but that sense of having the knowledge, skill and equipment to make the best of any situation gives me a real sense of well being. It has often come to the rescue of other as well.

As for the "duplication" point, I work on the principal of "two is one and one is none" (i.e. if I only have one way of doing things it'll break, get lost etc.). So for fire lighting if out in the woods, I'll have a storm lighter plus hexi blocks, waterproof matches, firesteel and cotton wool / vaseline (and birch bark, char cloth etc.) when all those fail I'll fall back on a fire bow (no cord - okay fire drill - no long wood - fire plough). Whilst I love learning and using bushcraft techniques
, I think its important to be able to take care of any situation. Hence the kits.

Absolutely no rant intended here, and I guess its true that, when "out bushcrafting", your possibles pouch and bergan ARE your survival kit. I also agree that the kit you carry should be relevant to your environment and lastly I agree that wire rope saws are a waste of time - try a pocket chainsaw though (not a laplander but far better than nothing)

Just as an example, my edc kit is mainly held in my leatherman pouch. This includes:

Leatherman XTi (used regularly for opening parcels, screwdriving, trimming cables etc.)
Fisher space pen (used several times a week when I don't have any other pen on me)
Solitaire maglite (everything from putting the bins out to getting the key in the lock)
Ferric rod (not used often but slips in next to the pen)
Silva mini compass (come in handy a couple of times to orient myself in strange towns)

I also carry a leatherman micra (splinters, hangnails, crown bottles), acme thunderer whistle (great for getting a cab) and paracord keyring on my keys

In my wallet are a condom (..no I'll resist), strip of puritabs (never used yet), sterile pre-threaded suture (used two for repairing clothes), two nurofen (constantly replenished) plaster (likewise) and roll of dental floss (used frequently as string).

Oh...and a turbo flame lighter in my pocket (even though I quit smoking a year ago)

If anyone is interested in the other kits, happy to photograph and explain the contents

BR

Brendan

Nomad
Dec 1, 2004
Surrey UK
Here Here British red.
You could make do if you had nought but you could be more effective with the right kit in the right place at the right time.
I also always carry a small psk in my wallet, a whistle, permanent match,tinder,paracord,photon,tin opener on my keyring.
A leatherman on my belt
A bacy tin psk in my laptop bag and a fully equiped 30l rucksack in my car.
As well as a portable power pack with compressor in the boot.
At home I also have a 100l bug out bag If I goto move house in a hurry!
Better to choose not to use something than not have an option me thinks.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Brendan,

Sounds familiar ;) . Did you know the government now advise people to have a prepared "72 hour bag"? I suspect they mean for Florida type scenarios rather than a hoochie and small forest axe but hey whats the dif? Funny thing is, all the gear in my car seems to get used too (I even used half my water carrier recently when I came across a young lass a few miles from the farm who had holed her radiator). Anyway musn't hi-jack the thread - theres a running thread on Daves forum (Ludlowsurvivors forum ) if you'd like to share the contents of your BoB :why: ?

Red

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Well you know, there's a time and place for everything!

I like to think that I'm prepared, even when I'm in the city, on campus, or walking to work. As I said in an earlier thread, my friends all know that I'm good for three objects, no matter where I am in Nanaimo. A Swiss Army Knife, a Fisher Space pen, and a Zippo which is always fueled and ready to go. (Yes, I'm a smoker, but I'm still reasonably young and stupid) Even when I go to class on campus, I still carry a rolled up polypro shirt jammed into my bookbag, JUST IN CASE. :D

I've been working on a pocket-sized survival kit for some time, and while my digital camera is not here at the moment, and I cannot take photos of it, I will say that I'm constantly tearing it apart and re-packing it, and always going over the materials in it, looking for better, smaller things to use.

Two things in my pocket-tin that I am especially proud of are my tablets of RCAF survival rations (very small) and an aircrew "drinking bag" with juice crystals that is very small and very useful. I have some friends in the forces who occasionally let me "sample" their kits.

On a lighter note, does anyone know if those so called "pocket chain saws" are any good? Or are they just a bunch of hype? Should I even bother purchasing one?

Adam

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
As I said (and I think you all agree :) ) this is a personal thing.

I am talking only about the little baccy tin kits you can get and not about preparedness in general...to fail to be prepared is just preparing to fail ;) . Last week I had to go down to see my father in law in kent...I knew they had had snow over there so I prepared; we took my 4x4 rather than the wife's RX8, I heaped up down jackets, hats and gloves in the back and I took a brew kit, flask of hot water and a choc bar and some peanut brittle along with a couple of shovels in the back...my pick up is used for my work so it always has a full first aid kit under the passenger seat and various tow and winch fasilities on it. In the event all the roads were fine and we had no problems but as you say it was nice to be prepared just in case. I just don't think those little kits are that much cop. The kit British Red discribes and also the layering of his kit seems a much more sencible idea.

And I would hope that as bushcrafters we are all able to adapt and improvise from our surroundings to not need a kit like it.

Anyway, as I say..you guys carry what you like...so long as you're happy then who cares :D

Bam. :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
addyb said:
Well you know, there's a time and place for everything!
have some friends in the forces who occasionally let me "sample" their kits.

On a lighter note, does anyone know if those so called "pocket chain saws" are any good? Or are they just a bunch of hype? Should I even bother purchasing one?

Adam

One review coming up.................

Righto, well, given my options are pretty well formed, I asked my 15yo daughter of she wanted to review the saw. I gave her the pocket chainsaw and asked her to cut through a 2 inch thick sapling. Righto she said - about 40secs later - 1 nicely cut through sapling. She described the saw as cute. To give her something to compare it against, I gave her a Laplander folding saw to try. Same size sapling - 20 seconds. Her opinion - a better saw but easier for the untrained to injure themselves on and bulkier. The Laplander saw is the middle green handled saw in the picture below. My pocket chainsaw is on the left. Also featured are my solid pruning saw (right) and a 1952 trench saw (curled above)

saws4la.jpg

So what do I think? Well, given I own those saws and haven't given them away - guess (along with two petrol Husqy chainsaws, two handed saw, bow saws etc.). They all have a place!

The pocket chainsaw is, in my view a SURVIVAL tool. So not every day use, but packs light and into a small space and is very useable. I would far rather cut limbs and saplings for shelter building with a pocket chainsaw than a Leatherman or Swiss army saw. You can also loop Para cord through the handles and throw the saw over a tree limb (don't stand underneath).
The pocket chainsaw is so much better than those wire saws its unreal (they are RUBBISH imho).

The Laplander is my camp saw - folded (I've put pictures of the saw packed below) it fits into a thigh pocket on my cargo pants. It as sharp as anything and fairly aggressive. The trouble is it is a little awkward to carry.

The fixed blade pruning saw has a click fix sheath. I love this saw for hide building etc. when I'd be putting a saw down all the time and losing it.

The trench saw - is a big daddy. I bought it because I found a guy who had a load of them still wrapped in oil cloth with all the files, tooth setting tools etc in the pack dated MOD 1952. It will fell anything up to a 24 inch trunk.

saw27lt.jpg

So my review of the pocket chainsaw - its place is as an emergency survival tool in your possibles bag or survival kit. In that place its great

Hope that answers your question (sorry it took so long) :lmao:

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hmm,

Well, for me, the first thing to ask is, is this an every day carry (edc) tin or a wilderness backup? Contents would vary by that. Heres what I would do (assuming a wilderness tin):

Get rid of the condom and plastic bags and replace with a couple of "ziplock" bags. These are sold in all supermarkets cheap and make better water carriers than condoms. If you know any nursing mothers, nick some breast milk bags - they are great.

Chuck the wire saw - I don't rate them in use at all. If you can run to a swiss army knife or clone that has a saw balde on it, replace the knife (which is fine BTW) and the wire saw with that. This also gives you tweezers, and if you find the right one, a torch and biro.

get some cotton woolor wool balls rather than those pads. Rub with vaseline and put in tiny ziplocks (cheap on ebay, come free with buttons in or just use cling film).

Put some firelighter pieces in

Add a couple of plasters, antisptic wipes and a couple of antihistamines for bites & stings. A couple of co-codamol or simialr for pain relief would be good.

replace the paracord with 50lb test nylon fishing line - you can carry loads more

Just my view - happy to do a show and tell on my kit if you want?

Red

Brendan

Nomad
Dec 1, 2004
Surrey UK
I too have a pocket chainsaw but would favour the laplander for ease of use and cutting speed. The pocket chainsaw needs the wood you are cutting to be fixed to something ie a tree which is still standing. I got it stuck a couple of times when trying to cut an 8 inch dia fallen tree. It is good however at cutting above head height but then how often do you need to do that.
The really small wire saws from psk are only any good for smaller stuff and the cheap ones get too hot and usually snap when trying to cut anything over 2or3 inches.
I know some special forces get issued a go kit which is like a psk but in a bag which is a bit more accesible than a tin bound with tape and para cord. They tend to use this kit as a primary source not a backup or emergency.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I have to agree with many of you - I also carried one of these tins around with me for a couple of years and only used it once (cotton wool for fire on a particularly soggy day). In reality a decision should be made as to what terrain you are going to be covering, weather conditions expected, duration of trip etc and base your equipment levels on that.

I would prefer to replace the tin with something of a similar size such as a hip flask or 3 pack of Mars bars.

:p :p :p

OhCanada said:

The trick is to make the tin for your local enviroment. It is logistically impossible to make a survival tin for"global use". For example, my tin is geared to the pine barrens of NJ. I don't have to worry about water there, water is plentiful(if you don't mind the acidic iron taste of cedar water). And at this time of the year, I make sure the fire kit is definately piggybacking the mini-kit!!

BUT, I may have to make a totally different tin if I plan on a trip to the deserts of central asia. ;)

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
b1k3rwaif said:
so what would you advise i change in my kit?

If you are happy and comfortable with what you carry in your kit then don't change it just because somebody you've never met (me ;) ) says they don't like it, carry what you wish my friend :)

However seeing as you ask, here are my thoughts on the subject.

I find these little kits a bit of a novelty item for use in the UK, I certainly don't need them living in Surrey as I'm never all that far from a road/house/phone and always carry my mobile with me, which is itself a survival tool (although not one to rely on totally), also as a smoker I always have a lighter or two on me and at least a edc folder and most often while at work or out bushcrafting a fixed blade too.
These kits are great for short term survival, the survivor of a light aircraft crash or the sailer who's boat has gone down and he is on a remote shoreline and as I said for military personel who find themselves in trouble and need some short term items to help them on their way back to safety, as I said before i am a great believer in being prepared and that includes leaving detailed route plans and timings with people so that if I don't come back then I know somebody will come looking for me and know roughly where I am. None of the above applies to me in everyday life so I find that I do not need the kits, as somebody said earlier in the thread you might be better carrying a few mars bars or bags of dried fruit along with your knife.
The problem is that the items will run out fairly quickly so unless you are in a short term situation all you are doing is delaying your demise (obviously this is good if it is a short term thing as you'll be out of there before the demise) but if it's a longer term things then you would be better off to know how to do all the things you need to do without having this kit with you (in which case do you really need the kit anyway?)
I am also of the opinion that the longer you are in a survival situation then the easier it becomes (if you know what you are doing - which is where the skills and knowledge bit comes in) and in time it will go through the transition from "Survival" to "Wilderness living" or "Bushcraft". For example, you have 25ft of paracord in your kit. That's going to be great for shelter building but once it's used then it's gone and you might as well not have had it, if you knew how to make natural cordage then you wouldn't need the paracord (or could save it for something you really need it for), however, it can take time to make natural cordage so for the short term the paracord would make life easier. The same applies to the puritabs, they make life easier in the short term but when they run out you need to know how to purify your water. As you are there longer and longer you will find that you have more and more time on your hands as you get more and more organised...you will find loneliness and bordom your greatest enemies and doing things like making cordage and other camp crafts will help to keep your mind busy and ward off the despondancy and dispare that will soon start to set in.

Anyway, I'm rambling now (I know what I want to say but am having trouble putting it down here, would be much easier in a chat round a fire lol :D ) The basics of what I'm saying is that you cannot cover up gaps in your knowledge and skills levels indefinately, at some point the kit runs out and you need to have the skills to carry on without it and as such if you have the skills then you don't really need the kit...it just makes life a bit easier to start with. So what I'll do is make a list of what I'd carry as a "survival kit" if I was going somewhere temperate but rather remote...say Sweden or parts of Poland.

1) Good quality fixed blade knife in sheath
2) Firesteel
3) Small fishing kit
4) back up folder (most likely a british army clasp knife or a good SAK)
5) small sharpening stone (DC3 or similar)
6) Good quality button compass
7) Small sowing kit but with one large leather needle added
8) Small candle (most likely not a tea lite)

And that's it...if I really wanted to to be picky then as I've said just the knife would do me :)

It might also help if next to the list of kit you have, I put an example or two of how I might get round not having the kit by using one of the skills I have learnt but please note I am doing this to try to help and NOT to be picky about the gear you carry, please also note that I appriciate that some of the things I will suggest are not possible in certain places for example if you don't have any birch tree's then you can't make birch bark containers lol :) so you would have to adapt and improvise with what you do have around you. I would also like to pass coment on a few of the items you have listed and suggest alternatives that in my personal opinion are better items (you may think otherwise and that's fine too :) ).

1.standard tabacco tin - Too small to boil a usefull ammount of water in so maybe better to have a very small billy instead or learn to rock boil in birchbark containers.

2.sandwich bags , size lagre - I'm not sure what these would be used for? Burn dressing maybe?

1.condom (unlubricated for water carrying) - Where are you carrying this water too? Why not site your camp closer to the water sourse? If you have waterproof trousers then tie the anckles closed and fill them with water - if you're not going far then use normal trousers (they'll leak but you will get quite a bit stay in them if you aren't carrying it far) and dry them before you put them back on.

1.beta light (or similar) - I can't see a need for this, if you need to signel then a large fire is going to be better that a beta lite by a long way. If it's to look at stuff in the dark then wait until it's light again. If needs be then make a natural torch from birch bark or pine resin or whatever else you can find.

1.bic lighter (small ) - A novelty item but very useful none the less, certainly worth havnig in the kit and only not in mine as I carry one anyway being a smoker. Keep it dry thought or it won't work until it has dried. If you didn't have it then there's always fire by friction.

1.spare flint (for above) - Again no problem with this as it takes up next to nothing and is very handy.

1.tin opener - To open what exactly? If you've got plenty of tinned food then you're hardly in a survival situation are you?

1.small lock knife - Can't argue with this item at all...but do make sure it's a good quality knife, a Spiderco or something of that standard. Certainly a darn site easier than knapping your own flint knife!

1.button compass - Not essensial if you know your stars and other natual indicators but certainly for the size it is worth having to make nav quicker.

1.pencil - Again not a bad thing to have but you could use natural paints or charcoal if you needed too.

1.wiresaw - Totally useless IMO...don't even bother carrying it. Do you really need nice neatly sawn wood in your survival situation...can't you burn your way through bigger logs for shelter building and just feed longer ones onto your fire bit by bit.

1.tea-light (light it before packing as a prelit wick will catch a lot quicker when you need it) - Candles are a good idea, they last ages if only used to light your fire and then put out again but I don't like those tea-lites and prefer a slightly cut down normal table candle or a bees wax one which has other uses or a tallow one that in very dire circumstances can be eaten.

1.book of matches - Nothing wrong with having matches with you...mayeb several books spread about your person and kit would be better than one book in a survival tin. Some people like to dip the heads of the matches in the book all together into molten wax to waterproof them.

10. aquapure tablets - Again, useful for the first ten litres you drink but after that you'll need to purify naturally and this goes back to what I was saying above about long and short term survival.

1.small sewing kit(you never know) - Add to it a larger leather needle and you have a really useful bit of kit. In time you could fashion your own kit from bone or antler so not essencial to have but a good luxury.

fishing line/ hooks and weights - Exactly the same as above, you can make your own from bone, antler etc but nice to have and doesn't weight much.

20ft.brass wire - Very useful for snares, you can make natural ones but the brass wire is more reliable and easier...so you make 7 or 8 from it and then another 20 or 30 natural ones and lay them all out, hopefully one will catch your dinner for you.

6.safety pins(various sizes) - Can't see much use for these...fishing hooks maybe but I'd rather have a few ready make hooks that work better and are lighter.

1.bin-liner (as large as you can find, this goes outside the tin) - Can't see a massive need for this either - if you're carrying your kit in it then you're doing well to have that much stuff. You could improvise by roughly weaving a basket or if it's for shelter waterproofing then use leaf litter, turf sods, bracken thatch or whatever else is about. In long term survival the bin liner will soon be trashed so why become acustomed to something you won't have all that long. Also in longer term survival once you start to hunt and trap (if you are able and skilled to do so) then you can use the skins instead of the bin liner.

1.Magnesium Firestarter (use the back of the knife as a striker) - I don't like these at all (in fact they come second only to wiresaws in my list of gash kit). I advise to take it out of your kit and replace it with a proper Swedish firesteel that will work better and last longer.

as many cotton pads as you can fit to stop rattling and as kinder) - nothing wrong with this but again they will run out pretty quick. Better to get into the habbit of picking up tinder (cattail fluff, birch bark etc etc) and popping it in your pocket as you wonder throught the woods, then when you need tinder you need only reach into your pocket.

25ft.paracord (wrapped around tin) - Useful to have but will run out soon so make sure you can make natural cordage and know how to use withies. For a bow drill to start your fire the paracord would be more durable than natural cordage but then again why not just use your boot lace for the cord on the bow and then pt it back in your boot when you are done.

tape to secure it (can be used for various things) - Like what apart from helping to waterproof the tin that I wouldn't be carrying anyway?

I hope that is of interest to you and maybe even of some help, I think I've pushed the point enough now but I am trying to help and not to be negative.

All the best,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE