Perishable food storage (meats. milk etc)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Eragon21

May 30, 2009
Aberdare
I am need of some help on how to store food while I am at the Moot, my plan was to go to Tesco's on a fairly regular basis but I know that in unfeasible.

I have an idea to dig down into the earth and store the food in sealed containers about 6 inches down - would this work and would it keep the food cool and fresh.

Some help and tips would be great and please share how you store yours

Thanks

Gareth

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I tried the coolbox full of ice last year and it didn't work that well tbh. It just became a sloppy mess.
I thought that if I got down this year I'd just use screw top jars and bottles and put them into a bucket of cold water with a teatowel over the top. So long as the teatowel is wicking water away by evaporation, it'll keep things cold. I thought that a fresh bucket full of water each morning should probably do fine.

Be interested to hear how you get on with whatever method you choose; we're very used to good refridgeration these days and very reliant upon it.

cheers,
M

Eragon21

May 30, 2009
Aberdare
I'd be inclined to take cured meats and UHT rather than risk it

It is mainly for fresh meats rather than buying and using the same day, I am going to use powdered milk and make it each morning but I may need to keep it for a day aswell.

We had difficulties with keeping the UHT milk last year so trying a different way this year.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Most vacume meat packs are ok in a cool ambient temp for 24 hours... But, thats it. You could store them in a bucket of water which would keep them down a few degree's but its a bit of a gamble really. One way of extending the timescale is to freeze meat for 24 hours, pack into an icebox with frozen blocks and leave in a shaded area. I've camped from a friday and cooked a full english on the sunday with above method but again, its easy to get wrong.

Powdered milk isnt the best, but wont go off. Cured meats last weeks unopened, tinned fish, packet pastas ect.

Taking your bum for a wee is never fun, be safe :p

Eragon21

May 30, 2009
Aberdare
Most vacume meat packs are ok in a cool ambient temp for 24 hours... But, thats it. You could store them in a bucket of water which would keep them down a few degree's but its a bit of a gamble really. One way of extending the timescale is to freeze meat for 24 hours, pack into an icebox with frozen blocks and leave in a shaded area. I've camped from a friday and cooked a full english on the sunday with above method but again, its easy to get wrong.

I think it is best unless anyone has a safe way of storing to just go for tinned or dried and buy fresh only when I want to use it
Powdered milk isnt the best, but wont go off. Cured meats last weeks unopened, tinned fish, packet pastas ect.

I know but we tried UHT last year and the wife didn;t get on with it too well

Taking your bum for a wee is never fun, be safe :p

Thanks for that haven't laughed so hard for a while!!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
A good coldbox works well if you chill the box down before you fill it, chill or freeze the meat and milk etc and fill it on your way out of the door.

Lot of stuff last fine without the cold box Vacuum packed bacon will last a week unopened without chilling, take dried milk or tinned evaporated milk, canned hot dog sausages, corned beef, primula cheest/cheese triangles, 5 minute rice or pasta, jam, biscuits plus there is always someone going on a Tesco run at the moot, just ask around and get a lift no problem if you have no transport. Freeze steak and wrap in a few plastic bags then tin foil and it will be OK for two days.

When are you going? Do you have transport?

Eragon21

May 30, 2009
Aberdare
I will be at the moot on Thursday and I do have my own car but I didn't want to be going back and forth to Tesco to get meats etc

If the vac packed bacon lasts is that the same for the vac packed gammon?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Should be fine, is vacuum sealed salted meat at the end of the day. Once opened though use it. There are smaller shops a couple of miles down the road, a lot closer than Tesco.

TFan

Tenderfoot
Nov 3, 2010
Buckinghamshire
I bought an army surplus Norgie food container after reading how long they kept things cool for. With a bottle of frozen water and some ice blocks I've been happy for up to 3 days. However I remember reading one post on a forum (it may even have been here somewhere) which said 5 days was possible if the container was buried. I've not tried it myself but it might be worth a go.

Oct 5, 2009
Sheffield
I have a small screwtop container - roughly 1.5 litres capacity which I bury just up to the lip. This is placed under the shade of the tarp, covered with a damp cloth and the surrounding earth kept moist. It's enough to keep milk fresh for several days but I don't know if I'd trust it with meat - if only because of scavenging critters. For the most part I rely on more stable food stuffs such as rice, cous cous and pasta. I also carry a quantity of Mystery Protein - the sort found in the vegetarian section of your local supermarket - some of them even taste OK!

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
For living without refrigeration there's only one word. SPAM!!!!!! Preferably in single serving packets.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
How ? :)

I tried the frozen block and the bag of ice in a really good normal coolbox but it was an 'it'll do' at best.
I have been looking at the norgie ones recently and giving them some serious consideration.

On the other hand, we used to camp for weeks with neither cool box or fridge. We just adjusted what we ate.
Maybe we're just spoiled these days :dunno:

cheers,
M

geordienemisis

Settler
Oct 3, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
I am inclined to agree with Toddy on this, we have become reliant on fresh and sell by date. The amount of additives and chemicals put into (FRESH)food is remarkable. Look for good quality food, the fresher the better then freeze at home and pack as late as possible. We tend to throw out food a while before use by date so a couple of days over use by date should be fine. I have used stuff well passed its use by and found it no problem

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE