Perishable food storage (meats. milk etc)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

drliamski

Sep 11, 2006
East London
I am inclined to agree with Toddy on this, we have become reliant on fresh and sell by date. The amount of additives and chemicals put into (FRESH)food is remarkable. Look for good quality food, the fresher the better then freeze at home and pack as late as possible. We tend to throw out food a while before use by date so a couple of days over use by date should be fine. I have used stuff well passed its use by and found it no problem

I ate a quiche that was a month out of date yesterday and no problems as yet!

Sent from my HTC Desire

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Just did a search on Amazon - not cheap but 5 days of cooling, I don't think I'll invest now but would be a good bit of kit to have. I will have to seriously think of this one

I want the big one for family camping the norgi are too small really for that purpose. I camped a couple of times with an American stove collector who was working over here for the US airforce on a base and all his belongings including car and Harley D were flown over in the back of a Galaxy. He bought along a monster Coleman box with some bags of ice cubes (for the tax free Wild Turkey) and they were still frozen after a three day camp, very impressive performance, I don't doubt the 100 hour claim. The PX store even flies in bread rolls from the States for the service personal here in the UK !

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Don't forget the fresh veg!

Stored in a shaded airy spot, in paper bags and nets or baskets most veg and salad stuff will last the week. Filling, nutritious and tasty without too much effort. The ideal accompaniment to a can of meat or fish.
t2801.gif

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
We 'can' most of our food, by canning I mean sealing the food into a jar by heating that jar in a pot of boiling water.

You can easily tell if the process has worked by pressing down on the lid, if it pops back and forth then you don't have a proper seal.

Most of these (the non meaty ones) sit in our larder until needed, sometimes for months. Obviously a glass jam jar is a tricky thing to cart about in a rucksack but in can be done.

Here are some curries and soups prepared earlier today for my father in law to take on a trip, of the seven jars prepared this morning one failed to seal, that'll be the one he eats tonight.

P8040135.JPG

Useful link

:)

Last edited:

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
We use a cool box that we've had for so long I can't remember where it came from. We freeze all the milk except what we need for the first day, as well as bacon etc. We normally find that our problem is that things get too cold. We've often found salad stuff freeze in the box. then we just take out any frozen stuff that we want for the next day before we go to bed and it is defrosted by morning. This method easily does us for a long 4 day weekender.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
My moot supplies will contain a lot of tinned fish (mackerel/sardines in olive/sunflower oil make the basis of a great risotto especially with a little chilli sauce added). I'll also take some chorizo which lasts well for a meat risotto and maybe some corned beef. Oat cakes are good snacking food as are nuts which are high in protein and calories and keep well. Then maybe one journey to Tesco for fresh supplies.

Milk is difficult to keep fresh and the powdered stuff is terrible so I drink sweetened black tea when I'm out and about.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
My moot supplies will contain a lot of tinned fish (mackerel/sardines in olive/sunflower oil make the basis of a great risotto especially with a little chilli sauce added). I'll also take some chorizo which lasts well for a meat risotto and maybe some corned beef. Oat cakes are good snacking food as are nuts which are high in protein and calories and keep well. Then maybe one journey to Tesco for fresh supplies.

Milk is difficult to keep fresh and the powdered stuff is terrible so I drink sweetened black tea when I'm out and about.

Some asian stores and some big supermarkets stock NIDO full fat dried milk, 100% better than the skimmed crap.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I can't digest dairy milk so I make my own from ground almonds. The small cartons of soya are okay too, and they keep well.
Not sure how well they taste to folks who do like real milk though :dunno:
Morrison's had 330ml plastic bottles of full fat UHT. I bought some for HWMBLT to take camping with him. He reckoned that the smaller sizes were actually more useful because they're finished at one meal and disposed of.

Don't know if their's was as full fat as the NIDO stuff though.

Someone needs to do a taste trial :D

cheers,
M

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
powder milk tastes just the same as normal you just need to prep it the right way, use just enough boiling water to melt the powder then top up with ice cold water, job done (chill in the fridge if you can though).

i would take pasta, couse couse, bread mix, charizo, beef jerkey, frozen sausage, frozen bacon, eggs, ground coffee, beans and some other tinned stuffs...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE