Perforated tube for small improvised forge

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Excuse the repeated use of a pic from another thread.

image.jpg1_zpsz1le6g8s.jpg

I'd like some advice on turning the heavy cast iron barbecue base in the pic into a small hearth to learn a bit of forging on.

To get air into the charcoal I'd like a tube to feed from one of the short ends, something I can attach a blower to. I'm pretty hazy on the details, diameter, materials and thicknesses so it won't melt etc. assume I'm a idiot and please advise before I go off half cock!

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
On the tube, if a simple open tube end won't work, get a bit of steel pipe, cap one end and drill some small holes along its length then pass through the side wall with a hole cutter?

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Bum, I had great hopes for the barbecue as is a strong made French job I've dragged around unused for years!

image.jpg1_zpsyghafpft.jpg

But yes it is only 2.5 inches deep. :(

What sort of depth will be adequate? I'm only going to do small stuff say six inch max needing to be heated at any one time.

So I need steel pipe, would I get away with crimping the end tight rather than plugging? What size holes and wall thickness?

cheers for the input!

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers! since there's quite a good rim I was thinking of raising the sides by 2 or 3 inches, just wondering what material and thickness and how best to hold it on.

I'm also musing over what sort of air pump to use. I want to run it for relatively long periods and the hair dryers I've come across have all had a tendency to cut out after a while. For th he'll of it and since I'm a great believer in child labour I'm also intending to make a bellows, possibly a double one so it can be used away from mains power.

ATB

Tom

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Wranglerstar has some great videos on restoring a vintage air pump designed for blacksmithing Tom.

You don't want to blow the coke out of the forge. An old shop VAC on blow would work well, but I would make a hole and sliding cover (or splice a tap into the tube) to bleed out some air and lower the output pressure at the buisness end. You want to be able to adjust temperature and airflow more than a simple on off.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Ok, next dumb question, what sort of place will have a foot long section of one inch steel pipe, with the last 2 inches threaded to take a couple of nuts. Saying that I may have , a quick rummage in the why-did-I-buy-that-box , yes I have a ok condition 3/4" x 14 BSP split die and handle. I could always carboot a 1 incher if a 3/4 inch tube wouldn't be big enough?

Just seen you're last post Red,

Excellent thought on adjusting the pressure.

atb

tom

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Can't help on the pipe, wish I knew. I would personally get some scrap pipe like scaffolding pole, get the end welded up, leave a long tail and jubilee the vacuum tube on the a pipe adapter if needed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE