Perfectly circular climbing rated Caribiner ?

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I'm looking for a perfect ring shaped Carib or Maillon that will allow me to rotate and therefore release attached cords which are under tension. It has to be climbing rated.

Does such a thing exist?

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I've never seen one, and I doubt it exists from a safety point of view,
It's be far more likely to deform under extreme load and fail.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I've never seen one, and I doubt it exists from a safety point of view,
It's be far more likely to deform under extreme load and fail.

I thought that may be the case - any ideas for an alternative solution. I'm looking for a failsafe to stop the whoopies on my hammock hanging experiment getting into a "locked" situation, May just have to be a loop in there somewhere that I'm willing to cut if it comes down to it. A climbing rated turnbuckle would do the trick if such a thing exists?

Last edited:

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Are you using a marlin hitch on your tree tapes if using them?

Good question. I want a horizontal SRL (direct to both trees) pulled as tight as possible so I need a release mechanism.
hanging%20system.png

I have two hanging options at the moment.

Option 1: I have some custom 2" 3m webbing strap with Caribs (or this could be a marlin spike) - using the caribs I wouldn't be able to undo these.
Option 2: I use the DD straps like belts tight on the tree with a standard shoelace knot then maillon or softshackle to these - hoping that the webbing will come loose when the free ends are pulled (even under tension)

Both options worry me a little so for my first hang I was going to build in a little safety and use some 550 looped 5 times in between one of the straps and the whoopies until I see if it will all release nicely. However I would prefer a bombproof method.

You suggesting that using the marlin hitch I could just push the dowel free?

Last edited:

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Yup, i made a set last night after watching this, tried this morning in the garden, got in the hammock with me kids and dog after about half an hour of them gooning about to tighten every thing up ,with them still in i just pushed the pin out! i was happy they were not!

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Yup, i made a set last night after watching this, tried this morning in the garden, got in the hammock with me kids and dog after about half an hour of them gooning about to tighten every thing up ,with them still in i just pushed the pin out! i was happy they were not!

What you using as the toggles then? I take it as it's the knot taking the weight, not the toggle it doesn't have to be anything to OTT?

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Not sure if I've got anything like that - I need something tapered and smooth. Don't forget my rig will always be under tension so being able to pull/push it out easily will be even more important.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I reckon a stick would be crimped by the hitch dude and therefore not be able to pull out. could top get a length of steel rod from b and q? I used Ali as that's what I had lying around(benefits of working on aircraft for a while) just to make you feel better I'm typing this while in my hammock! In the garden.

Last edited:

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I reckon a stick would be crimped by the hitch fire and therefore not be able to pull out. could top get a length of steel rod from b and q? I used ali as that's what I had lying around(benefits of working on aircraft for a while) just to mase you feel bytter I'm typing this while in my hammock! In the garden.

Slacker - I may have to sacrifice one of my rod rests..... but it aint tapered.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
with a set up like that why don't you just have tight ridge line and then tie the hammock on with prussik/klamhiest.

I don't trust prussiks on amsteel, prussiks work better on lines of different diameters and amsteel has a low melting point, although I haven't tried it - but I'm belt and braces.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE